Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute on my 2016 1200S, 75mi a day, a chunk at 80+ mph, and a chunk at lower speeds. The buffeting was driving me nuts. Not noise, I wear earplugs, but the wind beating my head.
I need the ability to block air at high speed, but get air at slow speed on the same ride.

It's easy to spend lots of money and STILL not have a solution, so I wanted to try something cheap.
So, I tried this for $25 from Amazon, and it works! (at least for me):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYDHB7F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It can adjust up and down, and adjust for tilt.
At high angle, it kicks the air well over my helmet, and almost completely eliminates buffeting, tested up to 95mph:

When it's hot, or low speeds, angle it down and I get lots of CLEAN air. Lots of airflow, but no buffeting at all:

The little wing can slide up and down, you can see the slide slot in the side. I'm 5'8 and with the windscreen and wing at the lowest position, I see over it easily.
The friction lever can be adjusted to where you can reach up and change the wing angle quickly with one hand, without having to loosen or tighten anything.

It's surprisingly solidly made. The mount and arm are very solid metal with very good quality of machining. No slop or wiggles. The wing is thicker than the windscreen, and has pretty good optical characteristics.
In the clamp, it has silicone liners to protect from scratching the screen, small metal plates to spread the clamping force from the set screws. Again, much better designed and built than I was expecting for that price.

It's nice when a cheap experiment works out!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the info, but I'll be the first to say it....anything that ugly had better work!

My multistrada motto: If it's ugly, but it works...try something else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but I'll be the first to say it....anything that ugly had better work!
My multistrada motto: If it's ugly, but it works...try something else.
Well, I am a function over form kind of guy. I ride at least 15k miles a year, so eliminating headaches from buffeting is a big deal.
If I had confidence a Puig or Cal Sci or other screen would meet my needs, I'd buy one. But I've burned too many dollars chasing solutions for various issues on various bikes.

For other riders, because it's easily removable, this might be a thing you don't use daily but throw on for a long trip.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cheap and Ducati (Ferrari) don't mix.
Get a carbon DP Pikes Peak Shield. Problem solved.

When you spent too much, you only stand to loose the excess.
When you spent too little, it will wind-up costing you more as what you originally bought didn't do the job and requires more cash to replace it with something that will.

Dar

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the information. I do get some head buffeting while riding high speed on the multi and this may be a good solution for long distance riding. I also like the fact that it is removable, since I will try it on my Strom, which has even worst air off the windscreen than the Duc, adjustable bracketry and all. Bonus points for being cheap. And I can care less about the look, since it is removable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Touring screen does the trick...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I am a function over form kind of guy. I ride at least 15k miles a year, so eliminating headaches from buffeting is a big deal.
If I had confidence a Puig or Cal Sci or other screen would meet my needs, I'd buy one. But I've burned too many dollars chasing solutions for various issues on various bikes.

For other riders, because it's easily removable, this might be a thing you don't use daily but throw on for a long trip.
Wasn't trying to crap on your post, I was just trying to be funny. :yeah:

It's a great solution for someone that wants to eliminate the buffeting cheaply (I don't get buffeting. Don't even know what it is really).

...but it is quite ugly. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you mean the Ducati touring screen, I have it and it's beating me up.
I have a 2015 1200S touring that I recently bought. I'm pretty sure is has the stock screen. I'm 6'1". I don't know what buffeting is. Everyone talks about it like it's some horrible headache causing thing, but I guess I haven't experienced it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't trying to crap on your post, I was just trying to be funny.
I don't get buffeting. Don't even know what it is really
No prob, Batman. We've all had jokes fall flat online.

Buffeting is turbulent airflow, usually hitting the helmet or upper body.

Have you ever been in a car when one of the rear windows is slightly down, and you get that "WAWAWAWA" pressure wave reverberating through the car?
That's what buffeting is, but with the added sensation of someone slapping your helmet about 10 times a second.

Buffeting is very dependent on riding position and rider height. You can understand why someone who does get it would be highly motivated to get rid of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience has always been the shorter the windscreen the better. The short, stock screen on the 1260 Pikes Peak is great, and a Puig cut down to the same shape as the PP screen is great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My experience has always been the shorter the windscreen the better. The short, stock screen on the 1260 Pikes Peak is great, and a Puig cut down to the same shape as the PP screen is great.
The problem is that commuting in Colorado, it's common to leave in the morning in 45* temps, and back in 85* temps.
I need something that can block wind when needed, yet provide airflow when needed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2015 1200S touring that I recently bought. I'm pretty sure is has the stock screen. I'm 6'1". I don't know what buffeting is. Everyone talks about it like it's some horrible headache causing thing, but I guess I haven't experienced it.

Likewise, but I’m 5’8” (ish). I’ve messed with the screen height but it’s pretty much all the same to me. I feel like I’m missing out on an experience here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you mean the Ducati touring screen, I have it and it's beating me up.
Very strange, mine is fine all the way up! No complaints! Check out the MRA Vario

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree, when I bought the touring screen I cut my standard screen, I really like it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad you found something that works for you, the BMW GS guys have been using a similar device for years with general success.

There is no one size fits all solution to buffeting. As anyone who has experienced it knows, sometimes an inch of position change can either create or eliminate the problem. If you want to get technical about it, the cause of buffeting on these bikes is probably not the windscreen, it's the lack of lower body wind deflection. This is creating an unstable air pocket in the rider position, leading to air pressure issues that are the source of buffeting.

In other words, to a certain extent it's not a solvable problem, unless your solution is to buy a Gold Wing. You can make it better for you, but that same fix may make the problem worse for another rider on your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Cheap and Ducati (Ferrari) don't mix.
Get a carbon DP Pikes Peak Shield. Problem solved.

When you spent too much, you only stand to loose the excess.
When you spent too little, it will wind-up costing you more as what you originally bought didn't do the job and requires more cash to replace it with something that will.

Dar
DP Carbon shield... I planned to swap back to the the stock screen for touring but I don't bother unless I'm going to be gone more than a week (I like the stock screen for cold and/or wet conditions).

I think the sales pitch for this shield is "If you can afford a Ducati... you can afford this mother flippin Carbon Fiber farkle... so we're going to charge you 50% more than we should... and you'll PAY IT".

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the sales pitch for this shield is "If you can afford a Ducati... you can afford this mother flippin Carbon Fiber farkle... so we're going to charge you 50% more than we should... and you'll PAY IT".
This sounds incredibly close to the Harley parts sales pitch :D

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
DP Carbon shield... I planned to swap back to the the stock screen for touring but I don't bother unless I'm going to be gone more than a week (I like the stock screen for cold and/or wet conditions).

I cut my stocker down to DP Carbon specs and painted it black inside. Then I covered up the ratty jigsaw cut with a FI hose slit down the length. It actually works!

For what passes for winter here I use the Cal-sci large at top setting. Total coverage from chilly wind and almost free from buffeting. The stock screen is junk as-is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you found something that works for you...There is no one size fits all solution to buffeting
Yep. I've chased buffeting on multiple bikes.
the cause of buffeting on these bikes is probably not the windscreen, it's the lack of lower body wind deflection.
Yep. There's no option on the MTS. On cruisers it's well known that the solution is lower fork deflectors.
In other words, to a certain extent it's not a solvable problem, unless your solution is to buy a Gold Wing.
Well...... I did that too. But even GWs get buffeting, leading to several aftermarket windscreens, deflectors, and other add-ons.
You can make it better for you, but that same fix may make the problem worse for another rider on your bike.
Yep. Hence my desire to try something cheap. It's easy to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on things that worked for others, but don't work for you.
That was the reason I posted it, for people who haven't been able to find a solution and want to try a low cost experiment.

I didn't want to drop the coin on the MRA or other 'name brand' deflectors ($150+) without any idea whether a deflector would work for me. Now that I know it works, maybe I'll replace it with something more stylish. Or not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts