Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That is a good price because most places sell them for only $20-$30 less than the Pilot Road 2. It be hard to find a better tire for that price IMO.

·
Registered
985 Posts
These tires get bad mouthed a lot, but I was extremely impressed with their stability and grip, especially in wet conditions. I'm running Pirellis now. Don't know what I was thinking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Backhome77 said:
I know these aren't the best tires, but $150 for a set of OEM replacements isn't bad.
OEM tires must have changed over time since my 06 has Pirelli Phantoms. Either better than the other? Pirellis are a lot pricier.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These tires get bad mouthed a lot, but I was extremely impressed with their stability and grip, especially in wet conditions. I'm running Pirellis now. Don't know what I was thinking.
I haven't had any issues with mine. But I'm slow and don't push them that hard. Still, they're made from the same compound as more expensive Pilot Powers, so they can't be that bad, can they? I got pretty good mileage ouit of them, too.

OEM tires must have changed over time since my 06 has Pirelli Phantoms. Either better than the other? Pirellis are a lot pricier.
These were OEM on the '07 GTs. I think they were OEM on all '07s, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think that just because they were provided OEM, people are sure that there must be something better out there. That may be true, but these are a great all-around tire.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Pirelli Phantom vs Michelin Pilot Classic

I have the Phantom's OEM, on an '09 Sport 1000. The zig-zag pattern follows the rain grooves that cause a faint wobble that almost feels like the front tire is flat. Once off the grooves, all is well. (I check tire pressure pre-ride, never low.) Read threads how this happens with the Pirelli tread pattern.

Do the Michelin Pilot Classic have the same problem? Looking to switch to BT016 or CT2 just to lose the wobble, but will miss the classic tread that fit the look well on the bike. The M P C looks to be "better handling" than Phantom & "better looking" than 016 or CT2

Are the Michelins better or equally OK?

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
The Pilot Classics are listed as obsolete on the Michelin UK web site, none of the tyre dealers & on line merchants I tried had any stock when I replaced my Classics. I went for Dunlop Road Smarts & have been very pleased with them.

Perhaps folks should move fast if they want to stick with Pilot Classics, just in case stocks become depleted.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
If you bought a set of Pilot Classics how old would the rubber be? :confused: I think three year old rubber is getting close to the limit for useful tires.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have the Phantom's OEM, on an '09 Sport 1000. The zig-zag pattern follows the rain grooves that cause a faint wobble that almost feels like the front tire is flat. Once off the grooves, all is well. (I check tire pressure pre-ride, never low.) Read threads how this happens with the Pirelli tread pattern.

Do the Michelin Pilot Classic have the same problem? Looking to switch to BT016 or CT2 just to lose the wobble, but will miss the classic tread that fit the look well on the bike. The M P C looks to be "better handling" than Phantom & "better looking" than 016 or CT2

Are the Michelins better or equally OK?
My Classics felt a little swishy on rain grooves, but not uncomfortably so. When I went to the installer to replace them with the Road 2s yesterday, I went over a bridge with rain grooves each way and really didn't notice the difference between the two tires. I imagine most if not all tires feel a little weird on rain grooves.

I think the Classics are decent tires for the price listed on the link at the top of this thread, but most places sell them for nearly as much as Road 2s. The enhanced wet traction and mileage advantages of the latter makes the choice a no-brainer to me, especially that given the modern width and profile of the Classics, the tread design doesn't make them particularly "retro" anyway IMO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you bought a set of Pilot Classics how old would the rubber be? :confused: I think three year old rubber is getting close to the limit for useful tires.
That's a very good point..

You can ask for the date code on the tires or their age before ordering, and they're still making Pilot Classics so these could be fairly fresh ones. ?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
They may still be making them but I don't think they're selling very many so chances seem high that you'll get stale tires if you buy a set.

The Pilot Classics seemed fine to me, no groove tracking at all, but I decided to go with something different. I chose Conti Road Attacks. I bought from the shop that did my 7500 mile service, but when I got the bike home I checked the date codes and my new tires were made in 2006! :mad: I'm not happy about that. I guess I'll have to ride the bike a lot in the next two years to wear the tires out. Next time I'm buying online.

Debby

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just checked with them...looks like 2006-2008 are the production dates.

What is a good rule to follow as far as age and does that rule apply to unmounted tires stored in a climate controlled environment?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I bought a set from them to replace the Pirelli Phantoms and like them much better. And at that price, if you aren't racing, you can't get a better deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I couldn't resist either. I intended on trying something new this time around...but for $140 can't hardly go wrong. Michelin claims 5-7 years on shelf life, and as I stated earlier these are from 2006-2008 production.

He's got them listed on ebay too...that's where I got mine.

Thanks for the heads up! Saved me $200 on what I thought I was going to do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just received my cheap Classics via UPS. They were manufactured in the end of 2006...so they are pushing it on shelf life. However, for the type of riding that I do, 3 - 4 year old tires don't bother me.

Just letting any of you interested these know what your buying. They are still on ebay for $139.99 with free shipping...and I have no connection whatsoever to this seller.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I replaced the Pirellis on the Paul Smart with these Michelins from Motorace. Price and service was outstanding. I really like them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts