Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After changing my oil last week for some odd reason the red indicator light came on telling me that I had no oil pressure. I shut the engine off and check all the things I could thing that might cause this. I check wiring, fuses, and all the connections first. Everything was fine so at the point I pulled the oil pressure switch and checked the actual oil pressure with the engine running, I had 36psi which is exactly what my haynes manuel says it should be. At this point I realize that the only possible problem left is the oil pressure switch. So I get on the net and start shopping for one. The cheapest price I found was $31.99 through bike bandit. COME ON......this is a $5 part, not to mention that there was no promise on when it might arrive. So Im starting to get a little upset at this point when it hits me, This is just an oil pressure switch so I head down to the closest auto parts store and after about 15 minutes of going though their stock I come up with an almost identical pressure switch. It cost me $3.99 and the only difference was the plug on top was a regular female wire teminal (like a speaker wire connector), where the original had a harness style connector.
anyway just a little bit of helpful info if this ever happens to you

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Yes.. It´s "just" an oilpressure switch. But if I´m not mistaken they have diffrent psi settings depending on the manufacturers spec´s on the oil pressure in the engine..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes they do have different pressure rating, is actually in BAR not psi. My stock switch was 0.15-0.4 bar, the new switch was 0.17-0.42. its a slight difference.

It was the oil pressure switch off my 996 that I replaced it a 2000 model

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Who makes the switch and whats the part number?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My light tends to flicker at idle when the engine is hot (nothing wrong with the motor), anyone think swapping for this type of switch would help stop that? I get paranoid when I see that little orange bugger blinking in my peripheral vision...

·
Registered
36 Posts
JEC said:
My light tends to flicker at idle when the engine is hot (nothing wrong with the motor), anyone think swapping for this type of switch would help stop that? I get paranoid when I see that little orange bugger blinking in my peripheral vision...
That symptom set came up in one of the rocker threads. IIRC that indicates the oil pump clearances are too large, so the flickering light is infact a warning that something's wrong.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had to pay my dealer about $50 for one last month... That's a disappointment!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I cahnged mine a few months ago. I had the flickering light at idle. When I pulled the plug off of the switch it was full of oil so I knew it was leaking. No flickering light since.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Kurlon said:
That symptom set came up in one of the rocker threads. IIRC that indicates the oil pump clearances are too large, so the flickering light is infact a warning that something's wrong.
I'm doing a major service in the spring as I take it out of storage, I'll have a look then to be safe.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
If the light only flickers at idle & the switch is ok, check things out with a pressure gauge as there should be 35psi or so when hot at idle.
I run adjustable switches & my idle one is set to make the light just flicker at 35psi so I know it's working correctly.
It only flickers at idle after a long fastrun on a hot day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So how much are one of these oil sender units supposed to cost anyway? Called a Ducati dealer today and the price was over $60 AU. I don't remember them being that expensive. What other options do I have living in Australia? We don't have a NAPA here.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
So how much are one of these oil sender units supposed to cost anyway? Called a Ducati dealer today and the price was over $60 AU. I don't remember them being that expensive. What other options do I have living in Australia? We don't have a NAPA here.
See attachment.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts