Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks, that helps a lot actually.

I live very close to Sears Point (Infineon) and there's a world class go-kart track above the big track that they run Supermoto on every week, I think it's like $60.

I may try a track day on the small track before running on the big track, even though all my past experience is on the big track. I think it will be fun.

I'm sure I'll run into someone there who can give me some tips.
Ive done a trackday at infineon years ago on a ktm motard. Too many places for the big bikes to stretch their legs, where im stuck at 95-105 mph depending on gearing... Id recommend buttonwillow for hyper owners over all the tracks in north/central california. The cart track u mentioned sounds interesting!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
So they will customize spring/oil weight for rider weight and intended use or have they just made a batch of upgraded springs for these bikes? thx :)
This is primarily a 1100 thread as the forks are a well known issue, but there are 796 owners who have done front work. Springs come in all shapes and sizes and you just pick one for the correct bike/rider/style. On the other hand here is a very nice chart of the oil weights and an overall good site for learning Peter Verdone Designs - Low Speed Damping.

Seems like traxxion dynamics can get you springs which leads me to believe that race tech or lindeman engineering should be able to as well. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/142095-new-suspension-my-796-a.html

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
after doing this fix, I feel like my hyper 1100s is both more compliant, but more stable and dives less under heavy braking. haven't tried any fast turns yet, but it was a huge positive change from the stock progressive springs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have some springs I got from another member here that soon I hope to install. They were too stiff for him, but sound perfect for me (.9 rate with my weight being 220-230).

I'm looking forward to trying my 1100sp out with the new springs and oil and air-gap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here's a few data points for the rider weight/spring rate graph:

2008 HM1100S
rider- 200lbs w/all gear
current setup:
forks
spring: traxxion .75, stock spacers, 50mm sag
oil: repsol 5w at 110mm (approximates golden spectro 7.5w)
RB 1.5 turns/comp 1 turn
ride height- -5mm

rear
spring: ohlins 1092/34 - 100 (571lbs/in) about 30mm sag
RB 15 /comp 10
ride height- 4 threads each end

NB: per Dan kyle, don't grab a shorter spare spring you had lying around even if its a better rate- with preload, the stock 170mm 1092 spring is close to coil bind at full travel.

The bike likes the changes and it really responds to a stiffer rear end. Feedback is improved, as is comfort on bad roads. The bike doesn't sack out as much and consequently the geometry stays where you set it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking to do this mod. I have the '08 base model 1100. I have a couple questions:

Are any special tools required for this job?

Is it 100% certain that all 2008 1100 non-S came with Marzocchi forks?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ended up buying the .85 from Ed at Lindemann Engineering. He suggested using 15w at 135mm air gap. I weigh anywhere between 210-220 depending on the time of year (seriously). I'll write here again if I'm unhappy with it or tweak something if these specs don't work out for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm planning to do this mod and looking to order springs first of next week. When I run the calculators and look at previous posts 0.80 seems to be the weapon of choice (2008 1100S, 175lb rider). I fall more on the adventure/tour end of the spectrum than the track end. I ride a fair amount of bumpy country roads and some gravel forest roads too. For that reason I was going to go a little under the recommendation, at 0.75. Is that logic sound??

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yo, back from the dead. Haven't done much with my Hyper since I was away last year traveling (did a tour of Vietnam on a bike, also really cool). Either way. The forks on my Hyper started leaking, severely. I asked the company that did it what specs they used and they told me they used a Wilbers 7.5W oil with 90mm air gap. Now I always did find the front a bit on the rough side and with the forks leaking it become softer and actually felt a bit better to me. The bike would dive a bit more during braking and use more travel compared to previously (before it would maybe use 2/3 travel, after the leak 3/4) so I've let my mechanic know to use a 100~105mm air gap, whichever he prefers, to see whether that will soften the ride up a bit.

Will let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yo, back from the dead. Haven't done much with my Hyper since I was away last year traveling (did a tour of Vietnam on a bike, also really cool). Either way. The forks on my Hyper started leaking, severely. I asked the company that did it what specs they used and they told me they used a Wilbers 7.5W oil with 90mm air gap. Now I always did find the front a bit on the rough side and with the forks leaking it become softer and actually felt a bit better to me. The bike would dive a bit more during braking and use more travel compared to previously (before it would maybe use 2/3 travel, after the leak 3/4) so I've let my mechanic know to use a 100~105mm air gap, whichever he prefers, to see whether that will soften the ride up a bit.

Will let you guys know how it went.
How many miles did you get out of your front forks before the decided to leak on you?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Finally

I finally put stiffer springs in my 08s, traxon Dynamics, $175 with 15wt oil. Only had time for a 10 minute ride but feels transformed. 150lb rider, .82wt springs, should have done it years ago. Feels like I need to tweak the rear now, before the front was the biggest issue. This thread was a great help. Thanks.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts