Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really think many of you should try & make the stock suspension work for you first, before spending the big bucks on fork kits. It can be as simple as a spring & oil change. Aloha Alex
good info, planning on talking to the local suspension expert next week regarding upgrades for both bikes and was hoping to avoid the $3k Penske/Ohlins solution. Hopefully springs, oil and tuning will work for the KTM as well:think:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I cannot stand my forks anymore. I just gave Ed a call @ 408-371-6151, no answer, I left a message.

Alex, have you made any changes to your last fork setting? (ie oil level?)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
let me add to this...I was chasing around air gap while assuming it was the issue with my front end being so harsh.

present setup: .90 kg racetech springs with 5 wt. oil.

After a bit of experimenting, my friend and suspension tuner determined that the spring is way too heavy for my weight (210 lbs.) and the fluid was too light.

We ended up using 20 wt. (fluid weights are relative because there aren't consistent ratings from brand to brand) to help the damping keep up with the heavy spring.

I will be calling Ed soon enough. I would love to have this done before a track day weekend at the end of the month. We will see if I can make that happen or not.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I pulled the pin and ordered the Maxton drop in yesterday. That's one very reasonably priced option and from my research, quality wise, is as good or better than other options.
Their website has some impressive reading.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I cannot stand my forks anymore. I just gave Ed a call @ 408-371-6151, no answer, I left a message.

Alex, have you made any changes to your last fork setting? (ie oil level?)
No changes, still works well, 0.85 for my 225+lbs, 120mm air gap & 7.5w Golden Spectrol, I dialed my preload, compression & rebound at the track. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alex sent me to Ed also. I got the .86 springs. They are 5mm shorter. I have the air gap at 135 with 50mm sag in the front. I can get the rear to 45mm, but the spring is over compressed. I searched and gonna use the 01092-36 Ohlins spring for the rear (Kyle). I think this is the same one Alex is using too. Ed had a Ti spring for 400.00. Tempting, but I need to lose a few before I can justify buying anything Ti. I jacked up the rear about 3mm. Haven't tried it out yet since I'm putting in my SC oil cooler and machining my flywheel this week.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Alex, I just ordered my springs today, Ed is very knowledgeable. Did you raise the rear ride height on your Motard as well?
Yes, mine is raised as far as it will go, I found that the Hyper handles better with the "a$$" end up, putting more weight on the front wheel, and as an added bonus you will gain the much needed ground clearance. Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I received the new springs yesterday from Lindemann, I ordered the spring rate of 0.85. It is suppose to rain here on Saturday so it looks like I am going to do some fork work this weekend. I need to get the fork oil today.

Alex, I adjusted my rear ride height as up to the highest recommend. I do notice that she really wants to fall into the turns now. Where are your forks? I have three lines showing, I figure using three instead of four to give a little more clearance. I'll post a report when I get the springs in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Alex, I adjusted my rear ride height as up to the highest recommend. I do notice that she really wants to fall into the turns now. Where are your forks?
I currently have mine flush with the top triples. I did this to add ground clearance. I am interested to hear what alex did with his. It seems to work well flush.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I received the new springs yesterday from Lindemann, I ordered the spring rate of 0.85. It is suppose to rain here on Saturday so it looks like I am going to do some fork work this weekend. I need to get the fork oil today.

Alex, I adjusted my rear ride height as up to the highest recommend. I do notice that she really wants to fall into the turns now. Where are your forks? I have three lines showing, I figure using three instead of four to give a little more clearance. I'll post a report when I get the springs in.
I'm at 5mm of tube showing, NOT including the cap, so I have 1 line showing, If you want more stability, make them flush, super tight tracks, you can go to 2 lines showing, whatever suits your riding style, I personally would not go past 2 lines showing if I had my rear jacked all the way up, might become unstable and could start doing "tank slappers" I would strongly suggest that all Hyper riders use a steering stabilizers. Hope this helps, Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Have you tried it w/the forks sticking up a couple of lines?
I've been as far as three lines showing. But, that was with the rear not all the way raised. I still have more rear ride height to raise. I don't want to do too much more for street riding because I am only 5'10" and it becomes a bit too high at red lights.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Okay so today it didn’t rain and I still installed the springs. I even put some miles on the Hypermotard. I can honestly say that those new springs make a big difference. They front end is not harsh on the bumps, and she stays planted in the corners, no wandering. Even initiating a turn the bike feels planted and I feel more confident turning. I have to say thanks to Ed at Lindermann’s for making the springs and Alex for having Ed make the springs. It really does make a difference. Now I need a steering stabilizer.

Question, I have the air gap at 120mm. I have 27 mm of free sag and 50 mm of rider sag. I also have 50mm of travel that I am not using in the forks. I am thinking I need to remove some fork oil to get more fork movement, correct?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay so today it didn’t rain and I still installed the springs. I even put some miles on the Hypermotard. I can honestly say that those new springs make a big difference. They front end is not harsh on the bumps, and she stays planted in the corners, no wandering. Even initiating a turn the bike feels planted and I feel more confident turning. I have to say thanks to Ed at Lindermann’s for making the springs and Alex for having Ed make the springs. It really does make a difference. Now I need a steering stabilizer.

Question, I have the air gap at 120mm. I have 27 mm of free sag and 50 mm of rider sag. I also have 50mm of travel that I am not using in the forks. I am thinking I need to remove some fork oil to get more fork movement, correct?
Run the forks the way they are for at least a few hundred miles, do some wheelies and come down a little hard, that should let you use all your travel, remember the springs will break in & soften up, I use about 3/4 of my travel at the track, you do not want to use 100% of the suspension travel all the time.

If the forks still do not give you the travel you want after this, set the airgap 130-140mm that will help soften the bottom of the stroke. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

where do you have your compression adjuster set at?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts