Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carby with a SH-673-12 R/R. I get battery warning lights* at idle, as well as sometimes at high RPM (5-6k+). Also sometimes it takes 10-20s for the light to go out when I accelerate off idle, other times it is instant.

I haven't had a chance to measure the stator, but either way I want to get rid of that ancient style R/R. I've been reading about series type regulators like the SH847 that work with PWM rather than just shunting the power to ground, which is more efficient, and less hard on the stator. My electrical skills are restricted to DC only, and I can't figure out if such a regulator would work on a 2-phase stator like mine. Does anyone know?

*aftermarket charge warning light from improvingclassicmotorcycles installed, it measures voltage over time to determine if the battery is charging or discharging.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Check your regulator wiring. Mine was rubbed through and contacting the frame.

Reactions: Lelebebbel

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the wires from the stator aren't the greatest. Not rubbed through but I know there is corrosion inside the insulation.

I replaced some of it when I first got the bike but I didn't take the stator cover off. I will open it up this time and replace the wiring right from the source with higher quality stuff, as well as change the R/R to hopefully make the whole system bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I hooked a newer 3-phase DUC RR to a 2-wire stator with great success. Just use 2 of the 3 yellow wires on the RR, tie the 3rd one back and tape it off. Charges at 14 V. RR stays nice and cool.

The only thing you "lose" is the charging light on the dash. The newer DUCS don't have one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts