Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the wierdest thing. My bike simply will not hold a charge??? I was riding it the night before and this morning.. nothing. Only way to start it is to jump it off my friends bike. Does this kinda thing happen over night? literally used the night before. Started and ran fine. Now nothing. The dealership has been working on it alot recently. rearsets, chain + sprockets, emmisions canistor rerouting. I just can't figure out how any of that would have an affect on the charging systems.
Bike sat for a few months prior to me using it. and it fired right up and was used for a week with no problem. Only problems started after the dealer trips.
I am soo confused....

chris-

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Hey Chris,
Generally when that happens there is a dead cell on the battery. I would check the cells and see what reading you get if you have a gauge. Might be time to get a Battery Tender for those downtimes but that won't help when it's at the dealer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is an 02 748s,
can a dead cell really happen overnight? cause for all intents and purpose's it was working fine till the dealer. Not that i'm looking to blame them i like my dealer. I just want my bike running again...
:(
I think i'll go the battery tender route..
chris-

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Many times that is exactly how the battery goes out. If you were testing it every day you would probably see it coming but otherwise it is just one of those things where it just doesn't have enough juice to turn your beast over.
I certainly have had girls call me with "My car started yesterday and it won't work today". Sure enough, time for a new battery.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Install a new battery, and then measure the voltage across the +/- poles with the bike running at idle & 5000rpms. Voltage should be between 12.3volts and 13.9volts. Anything higher or lower will point to a faulty regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
835 Posts
battery tenders are great! only 20bux also

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
scott said:
I certainly have had girls call me with "My car started yesterday and it won't work today". Sure enough, time for a new battery.
This is exactly what happened to my Wifes car, fine one day battery dead as a dodo the next, usually happens on the first cold day....

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
scott said:
Hey Chris,
Generally when that happens there is a dead cell on the battery. I would check the cells and see what reading you get if you have a gauge. Might be time to get a Battery Tender for those downtimes but that won't help when it's at the dealer.
As Scott said; it could be a dead cell - usually a mechanical failure inside the battery rather than a chemical failure - where one of the connections in the battery is broken. I had one of these on a truck - where the battery would read fine on a volt meter. But put a load on it and it wouldn't crank.

That said, as in life, good connections are everything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok more fuel to the fire... she is now "surging" for a lack of a better word. I'm going down the freeway, constant throttle position, and it seem to throttle up and down on it's own accord. When this starts happening it also has a very poor idle and will stall when downshifting to exit the freeway on the off ramp.

For all intents and purposes I love my bike. but this past few weeks have been hell with her... this is the 3rd ducati i've had personal involvment with (monster 620 for 8k, monster 800 for 12k and this for about 6k) and never had any major problems with any of these bikes. I did my maintence checked all the standards and they worked like clockwork day in and day out. I'm getting frustrated. I've been to the dealer and they are really helpful but i don't think they have any idea what wrong... and are basically looking to "fire" parts at it until something takes... a very EXPENSIVE way of solving the problem

any help/ suggestions shy of gasoline and a lighter?

chris-

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Have you tried a new battery?

I´m thinking that one problem is related to the other. All of it seems electrical, not mechanical. There could be any number of parts that are shot.. But my first guess is that your electrical problems are down to a few things.

1: Bad battery
2: Bad Alternator/rectifier
3: Bad Generator.

There is one more thing that could be wrong..
The flywheel on some newer 748:s have been known to come loose and start beating the crank up. Since they actually have ignition pickups on the flywheel, this also translates into timing being of and the engine running poorly (stumbling under load and a jerking when getting on the throttle). A friend had this happen to his -01 748. His flywheel had destroyed the generator, leading us to believe it to be the rectifier or battery cables, but once the flywheel cover was taken of.. well... Lets just say that it wasn´t pretty.

Check with your shop to take the left side cover of the engine and inspect the flywheel and generator. Should not be more then a 2 hour operation (you might even think about exchanging to a lightweight flywheel at the same time). I really HOPE this isn´t it.. Because my friend had 1500$ bill for the fix.
New generator, new flywheel, work and some other bits and pieces had to be installed.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
amullo said:
Check with your shop to take the left side cover of the engine and inspect the flywheel and generator. Should not be more then a 2 hour operation (you might even think about exchanging to a lightweight flywheel at the same time). I really HOPE this isn´t it.. Because my friend had 1500$ bill for the fix.
New generator, new flywheel, work and some other bits and pieces had to be installed.
This is definately worth doing, according to my tech guy, a loose Flywheel can damage the crankshaft, then the cost of repair is very high and can even exceed the value of an older Bike :(

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
The loosening flywheel started in 1999 when they changed the electrical system. The flywheel nuts are supposed to be self-locking, but a large percentage don't perform - that's why Nichols came up with the double-nut product (that had been used many years prior in Ducatis).

Usually, a loose flywheel will also break the clutch rod - but that cah happen without your knowing unless it gets really bad.

If you start up your bike and look into the little window on the left side cover, you should be able to see the spinning flywheel. it should not be wobbling. Blip the throttle and see if it wobbles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts