Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 696 what exactly does the charcoal canister do?

Are there any repercussions from taking it off?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Evaporitive Emissions Canister

It's where re-directed fuel vapor from the gas tank goes...which then gets sucked back into the engine intake...I think think it's an EPA requirement on all us vehicles now (or at least all CA vehicles)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yup - it can be safely removed and stored in a dark corner of the garage or into the trash bin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just removed mine the other day without instructions. It's quite easy...

The bottom of the canister just has one hose. Remove it and save it for later.

Remove the canister and its mount from the bike. There are two hoses on the top of the canister--disconnect them.

Remove the canister from the housing and set the housing aside with its three screws.

Of the two hoses which ran to the top of the canister, one connects to a T hose connector which has other hoses running to both sides of the throttle body. Simply disconnect this T joint and replace it with a straight hose connector so that the two hoses (one from each side of the throttle body) connect directly to each other (which they already did before, but now they won't connect to the canister.) Some people simply use screws to block off the openings, but I feel that leaving them connected to each other is better.

Of the two hoses which ran to the top of the canister, the other runs to the fuel tank. Simply use another straight hose connector to connect it to the hose you disconnected from the bottom of the canister, so that it's long enough to route below the engine.

Use hose clamps where you feel it's appropriate (where the connections aren't tight enough to hold on their own).

Reinstall the mount/housing on the bike. Trim the bottom portion which hangs down if you feel it'll look better that way.

Throw away the canister.

It took me 45 minutes to do the work and to figure out where everything was and which size connectors worked best. I don't remember the sizes, but you'll be fine to just pick up a variety pack of hose connectors/joints/unions and several small hose clamps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is a pic of mine with it gone.... The oil cooler was put it it's place, but the bike looks way way better without the canister on. Really opens up the underside of the bike and makes it look more like a classic monster....

not so great pic(old digital camera) with new rearsets/decals

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great info in this post.
DoWorkSon can you post more pics of your bike, I'd love to see that headlight better.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of windscreen/rear sets are those?

·
Registered
221 Posts
xpostreetfighter.com

Took a little manufacturing of some custom brackets and re-wiring of the harness but it ended up working out pretty well

·
Registered
560 Posts
If memory serves, one of the hoses is plumbed into the intake tract. this hose needs to be plugged or you are sucking air. I usually just put a small screw into the end of this hose.

mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
If memory serves, one of the hoses is plumbed into the intake tract. this hose needs to be plugged or you are sucking air. I usually just put a small screw into the end of this hose.

mark
I put a small filter on the end of that hose (off of a gas R/C car engine). When I plugged it my RPMs would drop at idle.

It sucks enough air to make a difference, I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts