Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've performed an internet-wide search for ths topic and have come up with many ways of dealing with this on other bikes (Duc Sport Classics, 1098s, etc.). For a 2001 996S, what I am hoping for is for someone to:

1- explain why I would want to remove this canister (other than weight please). Is there an expected performance or drvieability improvement?

2- if this is worth doing, can anyone spell out the necessary steps or if the process is already documented somewhere, please point me in the right direction

Thank you everyone in advance

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
No performance advantage. It's just nice to get it out of the way and save a little weight. It's there for emissions. It routes the fuel tank vapors back to the intake manifolds. If you remove it, make sure you plug the holes in the intake manifolds.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No reason other than weight to pull the charcoal cannister. There is no power penalty, only petrol fumes leaking to the atmosphere (possibly) penalty. Your call.

Edit; this cannister does prevent gasoline fumes from getting to the atmosphere. In other words, it is better for the environment to have it. No I'm not a tree hugger, or the thought police, and I have a set of Keihin FCR's on my SS. But I do have the cannister on it. I would encourage all of you to do the same whenever possible. Geez I hate sounding PC......

·
Registered
365 Posts
I used automotive vacuum plugs with a tiny hose clamp to plug the exposed intakes.I think they are 5/16" on my ss. Just unbolt the thing and reroute the gas tank vent hose down with the other hose.(careful not to kink any of them)You could also join the two inlets with a single hose.
No performance gain,just cleans things up a bit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no downsides like the constant smell of raw fuel or anything like that? I agree that these are very compact and complex bikes underneath the plastic. If not for anything else, more air in there means improved flow for better cooling when I need it.

What the hell, I'll do it for the sake of simplifying things.

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts