Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didnt come up with anything that gave a good explanation of how one should go about removing this black wart from hanging off the side of the bike. Is there any vacuum plugs needed or do you just pull the box and hoses off and plug/cap nothing? I understand what it's for - they've been used on EFI cars since the mid-80s - I also know they're like tits on a boar hog.

appreciate the help/advice.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
For more information on this site, try searching for "evaporative canister" or "emissions canister" or "canisterectomy." I don't think any of our discussions have referred to it as a Charcoal Canister, thus the failure of your search.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks papawheelie, that's what I was looking for.

MajorSoftie, you are correct. I was using the wrong words. Being a true Southerner, I find my raised in the back woods of Tennessee vernaculars are completely different than the rest of the world .. ie: garden hose vs. hose pipe vs. water hose. :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I don't think you can blame this one on your backwoods vernacular. Fact is, it IS a charcoal canister, just as much as it is an emissions canister or an evaporative canister. We just didn't happen to use "charcoal" in our discussions, so it was just bad luck on the part of your search.

It does show though that, when doing a search:
if at first you don't succeed, try adjusting your key words.

Even so, what are the chances you would have thought of "canisterectomy." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 2 cents

I recommend the alternate method described in the webBikeworld article - just plug the tube with a screw. I didn't even bother with the silicone. I just picked a nice fitting stainless steel job and it worked great. Quick, easy, and you could slap the canister back on in five minutes if you need to. Also, no need to use washers when reinserting the bolts, there is plenty of space to tighten them down without them.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I did a search and didnt come up with anything that gave a good explanation of how one should go about removing this black wart from hanging off the side of the bike. Is there any vacuum plugs needed or do you just pull the box and hoses off and plug/cap nothing? I understand what it's for - they've been used on EFI cars since the mid-80s - I also know they're like tits on a boar hog.

appreciate the help/advice.
note to cop aka bonafide -- this is an illegal mod. here's hoping you get a speeding ticket and your bike impounded just before your ticket-writing shift.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wow

Did he actually write YOU up?

Was it for something you hadn't done?

Have you tried removing that enormous stick that has been placed somewhere it doesn't belong?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
note to cop aka bonafide -- this is an illegal mod.
It depends on which state you live in. For instance, in North Carolina motorcycles are not checked for emissions. A check includes brake lights, turn signals and horn. Some local municipalities will write you a ticket if your muffler is too loud but nobody checks to see if you have a canister on your bike. I'm not sure what Tennessee checks but not every state checks emissions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow

Did he actually write YOU up?

Was it for something you hadn't done?

Have you tried removing that enormous stick that has been placed somewhere it doesn't belong?
I didnt write him a ticket. Dont even know the guy. He's following me around this forum with the purpose of harassment cause he doesnt like law enforcement officers in general. IOW, he's a peckerhead who got a ticket for being a peckerhead and he has to blame someone else for the chip on his shoulder.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I didnt write him a ticket. Dont even know the guy. He's following me around this forum with the purpose of harassment cause he doesnt like law enforcement officers in general. IOW, he's a peckerhead who got a ticket for being a peckerhead and he has to blame someone else for the chip on his shoulder.

:cool:
I'm pretty sure you'd be writing an awful lot more citations if there was an ordinance against peckerheads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides trying to pick a fight, he's confusing federal emission standards for manufacturers vs state level emission standards for privately owned vehicles. Motorcycles are not require to pass any kind of emission/compliance/equipment inspection in the state I reside.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
actually, my understanding is it is only required in CA -- Ducati puts it on every bike so they don't have to do two production runs....so unless you live in CA, you are far from breaking any laws, rules or regulations...

what a troll. alas.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
actually, my understanding is it is only required in CA -- Ducati puts it on every bike so they don't have to do two production runs....so unless you live in CA, you are far from breaking any laws, rules or regulations...

what a troll. alas.
Since it looks like my wife and I are moving to California (probably Half Moon Bay) to be close to our grandkids, I've saved my canister and my stock exhaust.

Can I get away with taking the canister off between inspections? :confused:

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Since it looks like my wife and I are moving to California (probably Half Moon Bay) to be close to our grandkids, I've saved my canister and my stock exhaust.

Can I get away with taking the canister off between inspections? :confused:
There aren't any inspections on bikes yet that I know of, and my shop did not care that it had no canister when they did the most recent service, so as far as I can tell, you should not have any issue.

I still have the ugly beast in my cupboard just in case they do decide to start checking...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, my understanding - CARB (CA state) and Federal regs are the same, but again - that only applies to manufacturers seeking official govt approval/certification to sell their product and not a privately owned emissions standard.

Of course, if that current proposed CA Bill concerning bike emissions testing makes in to Law ... dang! :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm pretty sure the law works like this... California is the only state to require carbon canisters for the sale of the bike, and the EPA says that it's illegal to remove ANY emission device, state required or not. Since all bikes had canisters, the EPA only approved for them to run in the US with them. Can't imagine someone reporting it to the EPA though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts