Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with such a small notch in the bearing spacer inside the rear wheel of 17mm axle three spokes! :mad:

I'm going to have to grind a punch down to get it at the right angle to knock these things out.

Couldn't get the bearing puller to do any good either the spacer doesn't allow it to expand behind the bearing

Any suggestions? Can I just press from one side to knock the other out or will I deform the rim under pressure?

·
Registered
852 Posts
It has been a while since I have done this but you have to tap the inside bearing face that seats against the spacer. Once you get a little bit of movement the spacer will move and you get a bigger contact surface to drive the bearing out. If you are changing bearings to accomodate a larger axel diameter for up graded forks, remeber to get a spacer made. Any machine shop can do it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup yup thats my next step after I get the old spacer out so I can measure it. I have my bearings ready to go.

I'm going to have to grind one of my long punches down some then. Handle hammer end is just to big to get the angle at the notch. Dang it!!!

As for the spacer length is easy to replicate but does the inner diameter need to be so close the the axle size as the original. Its just to maintain spacing not anything else I'm guessing here.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well DUUHHH It took a min then I realized yeah its got to be about the same as the axle ........ torqin the wheel tight thats what takes the load thru the center of the wheel!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
The spacer needs to match the inner race without touch the axle. I guess that's another way of saying it, but if you measure the wall thickness of the spacer, it's going to be pretty close to the thickness of the inner race.

On another note, if you ever happen to gouge the inside of the spacer and it happens to rub the axle, you can fix it a master cylinder hone tool. Don't ask me how I know....:eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can fix it a master cylinder hone tool. Don't ask me how I know....:eek:
Ohhh probably the same way I might have learned a few lessons with VW bugs:rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're right. The spacer does not move around the axle.

On my BMW there is a goofy little aluminum "shim" I guess is the best way to describe it. It actually rides on the axle and is suppose to align the spacer to the inner race.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts