Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been too clear on the compatibility factor in mixing tyres.
Conventional wisdom says replace your tyres as matching pairs......but is this just a rule of thumb?...Can you mix them?

I've had a good run with 2 sets of Pirelli Diablo Stradas but am now at the point where the front is in need of replacement but the rear has many miles to go.

Whats the wisdom behind changing brands one tyre at a time.If I were to change to another brand for the front only, what issues would I bring up?
What do I need to consider?

I don't know for sure that I will change brands, but I have noticed that the Strada does wear quickly and when getting worn is nowhere near as grippy as when it is new.The front now has a tendency to slide much more easily than it did a while back even though it still has some tread left.

Thanks,

Colin. 02 ST4S

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have never been too clear on the compatibility factor in mixing tyres.
Conventional wisdom says replace your tyres as matching pairs......but is this just a rule of thumb?...Can you mix them?
You'll get mixed opinions, but I run mix-matched models and brands of tires all the time. For example, I am currently running a Pirelli front and a Dunlop rear on my ST2 and the wife is running a Bridgestone front and a Dunlop rear on her R1. The main issue with mix-matching is to take it easy the first few miles to see if there are any potential issues with handling. It's not much different than if you put a new rear tire on a bike with a worn front or even a brand new set on a bike. When you change a tire, or both tires, the handling will be different than what it was before the installation, so just be cautious so you aren't caught off-guard with any surprises.......

Then, again, I've never been told I had the best sense when it comes to tires (my wife and I have burned through more than 50 tires in the last three years, though).

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
My ST was purchased with a Mich Pilot Road (gen 1) in the front and a Metz Z6 in the rear. The PR was on there FOREVER and the Z6 probably had 2,000mi on it when I bought the bike. It seemed to be a great set of tires. I never had an issue as the bike always has way more capability than I do. This set provided a lot of cold grip and confidence. The ST was very predicable and rideable in very low traction situations from cold rain right down to ice sheeted roads.

Just two weekends ago, I swapped these tires for a matched set of Diablo Stradas. The Z6 was well below the wear bars, but not yet showing cords after 7,000 of my own miles. The PR appeared to be the same as when I first saw it (just above the wear bars). Kinda freaky.

BTW, the Stradas feel fantabulous right out of the box. In my limited experience, this is the first set to feel this good this soon. Usually tires feel a bit squirrelly and timid for the first bunch of miles, but these wear ready to go.

As Desmo said, take your time feeling out the bike just as you would with any tire swap.

Have a good one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts