Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the oil/lubrication section a few days ago and no replies yet.

I am changing my oil today on my newly aquired 98 ST2. I change my oil often enough that I do not need the extended change interval benefit of a synthetic.

My available sources for oil are Walmart, Oreilly, Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts.

In my numerous searches here, I've not found an oil spec for the ST2.....one mention that seemed to suggested any 20-50 for any bike .......but think I want a more specific recommendation.

20-50? 15-50? 10-40?
Castrol? Valvoline? Generic?

Brian in Austin

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I like using old grease from a deep fryer. If the grease was primarily used for making onion rings, it is even better....I notice a lot of people like me to lead the group when I run the old grease. They say the exhaust smells pretty good, but I find we keep stopping at restaurants along the route.

I posted in the oil/lubrication section a few days ago and no replies yet.
Probably because the topic has been beat to death...

In my bikes, I run everything from the cheapest automobile dinosaur oil to Mobile 1 or Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil and range from 10w-30 to 20w-50.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
You need to do a search on the forum because as has been stated above (perhaps a little too tetchy ?) but it has been well covered.
You will find the full range of opinions:-
Cheap & Often , High Quality & Infrequent , High Quality & Frequent , Low Quality & Infrequent.

You will find all the arguments for each in volume :))

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As mentioned in my initial post.....I have done numerous searches and probably spent 2 hours reading through post after post after post...............not a single post stating what the factrory spec is for oil on a 98 ST2 (that I have found)

Was trying to avoid calling the dealer, who I figure will try to sell me Agip or similar....but will now do that.

Brian

You need to do a search on the forum because as has been stated above (perhaps a little too tetchy ?) but it has been well covered.
You will find the full range of opinions:-
Cheap & Often , High Quality & Infrequent , High Quality & Frequent , Low Quality & Infrequent.

You will find all the arguments for each in volume :))

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can find this info in the owner's manual if you have one. The owner's manual for the 2000 ST models says the default oil is 20W-50 if the outside temperature is above freezing. I don't have access to a 1998 owner's manual. Ducati recommends Shell Advance Ultra 4 which isn't available in the US but any good brand of synthetic should be OK.
Bill W.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full synth change at 1500 miles??

Why spend the money on full synth where the primary benefit is extended oil change intervals by virtue of the Synths greater ability to suspend more debris for longer periods without breakdown...........

If you are going to change every 1500 -3000 miles? Does the full synthetics ability to hold up longer in high heat.....benefit the Ducati engine somehow with a short change interval??

Brian

There are two rules to follow:

• Buy a full-synthetic 50-weight oil from a major manufacturer
• Change it every 1,500 - 3,000 miles (no more)

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Not being nasty here but took less than 1 minute from leaving this site to go to Ducati.com and look up an owners manual for an ST2 - Page 63 Shell Ultra 20/50 w
Before asking surely a few minutes of own research should be undertaken ?
As you can see the debate has already restarted !

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Your car engine exposes the oil to heat from combustion, friction from moving parts as well combustion deposits.

Your ST exposes oil to all the above as well as lubricating the transmission. The transmission gears also apply shear forces to the oil, reducing it's lifetime.

Since you're in Texas, I'll bet it's hot in the summer. Get stuck in a crawling traffic jam and your ST will get damn hot. That's when you want a synthetic oil.

1500 to 3000 miles is a rule of thumb. It all depends upon your riding environment. Stop & go commuting is harder on oil than interstate cruising. Regular (non-synthetic) oil will be turning black around 1000 miles. If you've got 2500 miles on synthetic and it's still a golden color, keep riding.

Personally, I stay away from the thinner oils, 10w-30 or 10w-40. I run either 15-50 or 20-50 oils, synthetic. A motorcycle engine is harder on oil than a car engine. It's your bike, oil is cheaper than engine repairs. Your ST has a dry clutch, right? So any synthetic is fine.

·
Old Wizard
3,007 Posts
OK, I realize that the choice of motor oil invites all kinds of heated discussions, but here goes anyway ...

Yes, only synthetic.

Full synthetic oils offer truly significant advantages, due to their superior high temperature oxidation resistance, high film strength, very low tendency to form deposits, stable viscosity base, and low temperature flow characteristics as compared to traditional petroleum-based oils. Yada, yada, yada ...

In particular, the viscosity of synthetic-based oils generally drops more slowly than that of petroleum-based oils in the same application. Motorcycles are somewhat harder on an oil's viscosity retention properties than cars. (The gears in the transmission are probably the significant factor in cutting the longer oil molecules into shorter pieces that are less viscous.)

Consequently, longer drain intervals should not be used to balance out the higher cost of the synthetics. Tests have shown that motorcycle motor oils loose 30% (or more) of their viscosity in the first 1,500 miles, so yes, change it more often.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jack,.... very helpful reply, I have had about 43 bikes to date,...3 of them Ducatis (750SS, 916, and Multistrada) the rest BMWs and a few VFRs etc. I did not realize that the trans on these was bathed in engine oil.....thank you for your input sir.

Gear box,...as mentioned in my prior response to you..(above)...I had done NUMEROUS (10-15) searches here and on google...and spent a couple of hours reading through threads trying to get the info that I just got from Jack.

At some point,....you've gotta just move on from the prudent proactive search and ask the guys that know in the forum. Wasn't looking to start a battle here....thought it was a simple question. Also, Had forgotten about Ducati.com...(Its been 2 or 3 years since I owned a Duc, and thankfully,...I have slept since then)

Brian

Your car engine exposes the oil to heat from combustion, friction from moving parts as well combustion deposits.

Your ST exposes oil to all the above as well as lubricating the transmission. The transmission gears also apply shear forces to the oil, reducing it's lifetime.

Since you're in Texas, I'll bet it's hot in the summer. Get stuck in a crawling traffic jam and your ST will get damn hot. That's when you want a synthetic oil.

1500 to 3000 miles is a rule of thumb. It all depends upon your riding environment. Stop & go commuting is harder on oil than interstate cruising. Regular (non-synthetic) oil will be turning black around 1000 miles. If you've got 2500 miles on synthetic and it's still a golden color, keep riding.

Personally, I stay away from the thinner oils, 10w-30 or 10w-40. I run either 15-50 or 20-50 oils, synthetic. A motorcycle engine is harder on oil than a car engine. It's your bike, oil is cheaper than engine repairs. Your ST has a dry clutch, right? So any synthetic is fine.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
There is a thread in the Monster section I think, where they discuss the oil debate.
There is an oil engineer called George I think from memory who discusses very openly the benefits of different types of oils.
In conclusion he stated that 10w-40 is better suited to our engines as it is easier for it to pump around than 20w-50 because it is slightly lower in viscosity and also our engines will run cooler on 10w-40 because of this.

Have a look in your owners manual it recomends different oils for your climate.

I use Silkolene Pro4 4t 10w -40,(full synthetic) costs me $79 AUD for 4 litres or I can get Mobil1 racing 10w-40 for $59/4lt which is highly recommended also.
I have been told to change it every 2500 -3000kms

At the end of the day, you have got to go with your head, you don't want to be doing an engine rebuild because you were too tight to give her the good oil.

Craig

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Ducati recommends 20-50 and I'm gonna assume they consulted an engineer or two along the way. Seriously, why do so many people assume some guy on the internet knows more than the factory?

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
Whatever oil you go with, change the filter (oh no another thread!) and the crush washers on the drain plug and screen
I changed the oil the other day, and re-used the crush washer and oil filter.

I change the filter at the Ducati recommended 6k miles, i.e. every other oil change.

Tom

·
Registered
825 Posts
Brian..............

...............make it easy & go to AutoZone & get some Mobil 1 20w/50 V-Twin.
Gregg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.