Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of '06 clip-ons from Stressfest today and plan on swaping out the Heli-bars on my bike. I've done a visual scan and it doesn't seem too bad.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Could someone tell me about removing the switch gear (lights, run/start)? I assume if I remove the screws it will come off?

From research it seems the pinch bolts are torqued to about 20Nm?

How do I know what angle to clamp the clip-ons on the forks? Is there a reference point I can use?

Any help would be GREAT:) Some nice close up pictures would be even better!:yeah:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clippons will have a pin or hole and the pin or hole will line up on the pin or hole on triple
I'm not seeing anything like that. There are holes for the control's pins but I don't see anything on the base of the clip-on that clamps on the fork in the way of alignment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it done. Piece of cake! Now we'll see if I can get used to it......................

·
Registered
724 Posts
Post some pics! Mine are raised (ST3)... I am thinking about going back to the original low ones... I was told that it would be bad on my back... But it looks soooo good!:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
You'll like it. Just give it a little time...
RpM
I agree. I still have the original "low" clip-ons on my 06 and have no desire to change them to something higher. I can handle a few hours just fine, but wouldn't want to do any multi day touring on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the look. Unfortunately, my wife's car broke so I have not been able to ride but around the block. Initial impression coming from the Heli-bars is it feels like I am holding onto the front axle! Whoooa. I will try to post some pictures tonight.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
the clippons will have a pin or hole and the pin or hole will line up on the pin or hole on triple
Yes, but I found the bar angle using the roll pin/locator hole only useful for reference. That stock position is too "straight" out for me. It seems an unnatural angle for the wrists and it becomes very uncomfortable in a short period of time.

I marked some reference points and adjusted the bar pullback towards the rear just a tad. I then re-adjusted the steering stops slightly to keep the bars and wrists off of the tank.

Take care not to cause damage to the fuel tank finish as you experiment, and pay attention to the key switch/lock so you don't render it useless by limiting the amount of steering lock too much.

Moving the bars back has made all the difference for me. I find the bike comfortable, and I do a lot of consecutive 350-450 mile days. I'm 51 years old and fairly athletic, having raced bicycles for many years. I should also state that I've got an easier go from the outset 'cause I'm fairly tall at 6'1", and my arms are pretty long too! ;)

RpM

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a quick picture.

They are stock clip-ons. Seeing them on the bike, I know why Ducati went with these originally in '06. The low clip-ons very much exemplify the "cafe racer" look. Sometimes, form wins over function.....;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot the comparison pic with Heli-bars

These were on the bike when I bought it. Very comfortable for sure.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Looks much better...more classic and less mr. roboto :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts