Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Currently my setup is full stock engine and exhaust with a booster plug (same as fatducs) installed. The boosterplug definitely made ride more comfortable by riching the AF ratio.
Does changing the air filter to a more free flowing affect the ridebility and negate the boosterplug advantage? I am thinking of changing to Sprint filter but don't wish to go back to the lean running days.

Cheers

·
Registered
853 Posts
No, in my experience a clean stock filter will flow air as well, or better than any aftermarket filter. It's just not a very good filter with respect to limiting dirt particle ingestion and dirt volume retention.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you are concerned about running lean, take the filter out and run it around the block to your satisfaction. Many race engines to this day have no intake filtration, you won't hurt anything.

As far as the polyester filters are concerned, if you can find an appropriate chart, you will see that in general they won't capture the smaller particles, and so yes, they will stay less restrictive but at the cost of crap going through your motor. Typically, they are looking at starting to be more effective at many times the particle size capture of a paper filter and even a cotton filter.

In reality, until a paper filter (OEM) starts to reach it's capacity, it will do a better job than anything that can be fit to a motorcycle. Until a filter approaches capacity, it will flow everything your engine asks of it. However, the polyester people would have your think that your paper filter is starting to fail the first day you use it. People do however tend to run air filters past capacity, blowing the paper surface off and thinking they have cleaned the filter when the dirt is captured internally and can't be cleaned. An oilable cotton filter will reach capacity faster because the oil occupies part of the capacity but can be thoroughly cleaned, reducing the long term cost, if properly maintained.

So, in reality, if you want the best for your engine, you replace the paper filter before it looks dirty. Otherwise, you clean and oil your cotton filter frequently, realizing that this is a time consuming process because the filter has to dry before being oiled and then left alone while the oil penetrates before use, essentially at least a 24 hr process. (unless you alternate two) Or, you use the poly filter because it hardly needs any servicing and is quickly cleaned, but doesn't filter that well.

I imagine I will get flamed by "experts" but since I almost never come back to a thread and have notifications entirely turned off, I won't know it.

Wow, 400 posts a year for two years, What in the world was I talking about? I don't know shit. Crap, I must have wasted a lot of time on this site!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts