Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took an hour plus to change the battery to a lithium battery. Now resting voltage is a whole amp higher. Bike cranks better but now doesn’t start at all! What could have gotten disconnected or ruined when I lifted the tank? 2012 monster 1100evo. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Took an hour plus to change the battery to a lithium battery. Now resting voltage is a whole amp higher. Bike cranks better but now doesn’t start at all! What could have gotten disconnected or ruined when I lifted the tank? 2012 monster 1100evo. Thanks in advance!

Enough fuel? Just asking... it could also be that the amp is high but not high enough to get the engine started, those lithium cells are tricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me clarify. I have enough fuel. The bike used to start with a regular battery with less voltage. It cranks better than before - a little faster. But I suspect something may not work in the fuel delivery - either fuel pump or something else. I am wondering if something got disconnected

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let me clarify. I have enough fuel. The bike used to start with a regular battery with less voltage. It cranks better than before - a little faster. But I suspect something may not work in the fuel delivery - either fuel pump or something else. I am wondering if something got disconnected

Check that solenoid connection maybe it got disconnected. Another question: did you remove the whole fuel tank or just half pulled it? Quick fuel disconnect could be an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Sorry to sound facetious but don’t wonder, pull the God damn tank and have a look. I’m sitting here at home wondering what you think any of us can do. If it cranks and doesn’t start then its one of two things, obviously. Spark or fuel. Lift the tank an have a look around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you both for the feedback. I have done just that - I am staring at the under tank and am at a loss. It cranks fine and it sounds to me like the fuel pump is priming. The solenoid - would it even prime the fuel pump if that got disconnected? I propped the tank, but as I was working on changing the battery it fell to the side. It doesn't appear like anything got disconnected. I appreciate to input as I am no mechanic and all I wanted to do is change the battery and add a USB power source! so much easier on other bikes...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you both for the feedback. I have done just that - I am staring at the under tank and am at a loss. It cranks fine and it sounds to me like the fuel pump is priming. The solenoid - would it even prime the fuel pump if that got disconnected? I propped the tank, but as I was working on changing the battery it fell to the side. It doesn't appear like anything got disconnected. I appreciate to input as I am no mechanic and all I wanted to do is change the battery and ass a USB power source! so much easier on other bikes...

Smell: any stronger than usual fuel smell? Check the lines for any half connected... pull gently all spark plugs and re attach them... but I do concur with him... you will have to pull the whole apart just to be 100% sure

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No unusual smell. I have gas in the tank so removing the fuel pump would be hard. I need to get a copy of the workshop manual. Everything seems connected. I’m wondering if I somehow damaged the fuel pump?

·
Registered
103 Posts
No unusual smell. I have gas in the tank so removing the fuel pump would be hard. I need to get a copy of the workshop manual. Everything seems connected. I’m wondering if I somehow damaged the fuel pump?

No way I have hit my tank several times and keeps going... when was the last time you changed all fuses? From fuse box I mean?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, fixed. I disconnected the fuel pump and reconnected it pushing it very tightly in (the electrical connection, not the fuel lines) and now it works. I guess I was wrong thinking it was priming - it was some relay in the back. Now the bike cranks more easily with the lithium battery. Still takes longer to catch on than my SF848. I think it must be the cables going from the battery out an a lower gauge would help. But, I don't have the time and skills for that. I will live with it for now. at 414 pounds wet weight and a comfortable seat and handlebar position this bike is a pleasure to ride. Much easier than my SF848.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts