Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Powder coating would be my first choice....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Powdercoat is more durable than a 2-part polyurethane or 2-part epoxy coating and will stand up to most road debris very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But can powder coating be done on gloss black? Would it look as good or as even as paint?

[/color]
Absolutely yes! Do a google search for high gloss powder coat and look at the resulting images. You can get powder coat with differing sheen much the same as airborne liquid paints.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just had my skid plate powder coated and I'm very happy with the results. Black was available ranging from flat to satin to gloss and probably a few shades in between. The powder coater referred to is as percent gloss. I chose a satin finish, which I think he said was 20% gloss. It blends well with the frame and engine cases. I had them do the rear peg hangers as well.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=661682&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my skid plate powder coated and I'm very happy with the results. Black was available ranging from flat to satin to gloss and probably a few shades in between. The powder coater referred to is as percent gloss. I chose a satin finish, which I think he said was 20% gloss. It blends well with the frame and engine cases. I had them do the rear peg hangers as well.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=661682&thumb=1

That's the same thing I want to do. Thanks for the info guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
273 Posts
These are your options:

Paint it black.
Powder coat it black.
Poly coat it black
Anodize it black
order the 2014 PP skid plates (they're anodized black).

If you have a 2015+, the 2016 PP skid plate will probably work, although I'm not sure it's still black.

If you plan on doing much dirt or gravel, powder coating is probably the best and most durable choice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Absolutely yes! Do a google search for high gloss powder coat and look at the resulting images. You can get powder coat with differing sheen much the same as airborne liquid paints.
There are also clear powders, metallics, and (at one point) even glow-in-the-dark colors. Personally, I'd go with a matte black powder. Gloss is available, but it will get scratched eventually and those scratches will likely stick out like a sore thumb.

For anyone in the U.S., Cardinal Paint and Tiger Drylac are two of the main distributors of powder coating. Give them a call and they'll be more than happy to mail you the same color sample charts that they give to their dealers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got a quote today. $100 to sandblast and powder coat skid plate and peg hangers on my two bikes. Seems cheap! I've ordered the satin finish.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I powder coated mine back in 2011. When I sold it summer of 2015, it was still in great condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts