Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Just a question, are these plugs the same or is there something different other than the color of the letters? They are both RG4HC, one is bought at a Ducati shop & the other online. I am switching back from NGK to Champion, my Duc mechanic states that he only uses OEM parts which he feels perform best...

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Red markings will increase perceived horsepower approximately 3.34% per cylinder. Mixing colors is generally discouraged unless you have access to a dyno and a box of jets or proper software to tune accordingly.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,871 Posts
The one from the Ducati dealer cost 10X more so it must be better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
In all seriousness, there is no functional difference - they're the same part number. I'm more curious why the shells are different than the font color.

·
Super Moderator
4,912 Posts
I wonder if they don't either subcontract the manufacturing out to multiple vendors or have multiple factories of their own.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I'm sure Champion has many factories running multiple, overlapping lines. But, that wouldn't explain the shells being clearly different. I would further guess, it was a running change and one plug is simply older than the other. All the important specs would be the same to maintain part number continuity.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one from the Ducati dealer cost 10X more so it must be better. :)

The set of 4 from Ducati is $106, $26.50 each! That is way crazy. Is the red lettering designated for motorcycles and black autos?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all seriousness, there is no functional difference - they're the same part number. I'm more curious why the shells are different than the font color.

They are a bit different in length can’t see that it will harm it in anyway?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
forget font color. forget the shell difference. they are the same part number so all the important things (thread size/pitch, reach, heat range, ...) are the same. functionally, they are the same part. put them in and ride.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forget font color. forget the shell difference. they are the same part number so all the important things (thread size/pitch, reach, heat range, ...) are the same. functionally, they are the same part. put them in and ride.
These plugs are for my ST3 dual spark motor, I bought 6 of the black lettering, I thought the new plugs would match the red lettered ones. I am going to have to mix the 2 red with the 2 black lettered plugs, which should not be a problem, correct?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Probably from production in different years but it also could be single pack vs 8pk point of sale packaging. The red box is single or 4pk consumer retail sales, the cardboard is bulk jobber or 8pk.

The black tip is odd, never saw that on Champions before,... of course you take it off for our wires but that is new to me being colored like that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The one with the red lettering doesn't require the socket to reach down into the well as far to reach the hex surfaces, so perhaps a thin wall socket isn't needed for that (Ducati?) version. Also the red has a shorter insulator which may fit-up to the wire boot differently.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,871 Posts
Good point. IIRC on my ST3S the right side vertical cylinder plug was behind a frame rail. There was a special shorty plug wrench in the tool kit you needed to get to that one.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Hex is the same size so, same socket will be needed. Insulator length difference in marginal. 1/8" isn't going to make/break plug boot fit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What would concern me is the chance that one is counterfeit. Never seen a Champion plug like the black writing one, maybe they have changed design or its a cheap knock-off. I have heard it happens with some NGK plugs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts