Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me why my chain keeps loosening up in less than 500 mile had to adjust it twice,i make sure that i give it the correct up down dimension to 32mm and torque the wheel nuts to 72Nm. i am a heavy guy but i have the rear suspension set so that it never bottoms out on me.

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
Hi Metalman,

Put the year and model in you signature line (it'll help when you have questions).

That being said, on my ST3 the rear wheel nut torque is 83 nm or 63 ft lbs. Make sure the side plates are clean...if there's any grease, they will slide on the swingarm and result in a loose chain. If you haven't already, a great mod is a billet side plate...stiffer than the stamped steel OEM plate and also less subject to slipping.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My st4s has the sticker on the swing arm that calls for 32 to 34mm of up /down movement of chain. When I took it in for 1st service in 2002, dealer said that was a mistake and to always go looser than that. Also if you have raised the rear ride height then 32mm is way to tight. Is axle moving or chain stretching ?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the the swing arm has grease on it so i will take the wheel and clean it,saw the billet side plate's they sell on e-bay i think that is truly the way to go.
thank's guys

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've been doing this long enough to understand that you tighten it when it's loose, and there are a lot of variables to my next question. But, it's winter, cold and rainy, so maybe it might be worth expanding this discussion? How many miles do most ride before it's loose and it needs tightening?. I'm thinking between 200 to 300 miles. A Senior Moment is preventing me from recalling where I came across this number. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Yeah the the swing arm has grease on it so i will take the wheel and clean it,saw the billet side plate's they sell on e-bay i think that is truly the way to go.
thank's guys
I have the ones from Desmotimes so if the ones you mention are similar they should be fine.

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
I keep my chain on the loose side. I'll go several thousand miles berfore an adjustment.
Several thousand miles?. I must be having flashbacks to the owner's manual for my long, long ago Honda 305 Super Hawk. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the ones from Desmotimes so if the ones you mention are similar they should be fine.

Craig
The one's i was going to buy from ebay, must be sold out can't seem to find them anymore and Desmotimes is closed so anyone know where else to buy them.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Email Matt from Motowheels and see if he has a source for them.

Craig

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Well, themetalman, because you haven't posted your model year and model, we can't exactly tell what you're riding, and that is especially important if someone is asking for help.

Corsair industries has plates for steel swingarmed ST models: Corsair Industries – Ducati Axle Adjusting Plate 17mm Aluminum
I haven't used them but they look well made. They seem to be out of aluminum swing-arm fitment plates.

Motowheels used to carry a similar plate for Monsters and ST-s, but I don't see them on their site right now. Corse Dynamics was the manufacturer (primarily carried by Motowheels).

Good luck.

Ron

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, themetalman, because you haven't posted your model year and model, we can't exactly tell what you're riding, and that is especially important if someone is asking for help.

Corsair industries has plates for steel swingarmed ST models: Corsair Industries – Ducati Axle Adjusting Plate 17mm Aluminum
I haven't used them but they look well made. They seem to be out of aluminum swing-arm fitment plates.

Motowheels used to carry a similar plate for Monsters and ST-s, but I don't see them on their site right now. Corse Dynamics was the manufacturer (primarily carried by Motowheels).

Good luck.

Ron
The reason i haven't put my motorcycle information is because i don't know how.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The reason i haven't put my motorcycle information is because i don't know how.
Those Corsair plates look similar but lack the little pointer.

To put your bike info up, just click on User CP, select signature, enter your info and save

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts