Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we are out in the garage trying to adjust the chain tension...
The tension is currently 34mm.

We loosened the two bolts, but the rear chain guard thingy is not moving.
So, I guess it's as tight as it's gonna go?

The book and the swingarm both say 30-33mm
But, when I searched the threads I see that it is possibly supposed to be 38-42....

I'm so confused:)

What's the story? Talk to me people:D

( I originally attempted to tighten the chain because I am having a snatchy throttle..., so, I guess it's not my chain...)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Okay, we are out in the garage trying to adjust the chain tension...
The tension is currently 34mm.

We loosened the two bolts, but the rear chain guard thingy is not moving.
So, I guess it's as tight as it's gonna go?

The book and the swingarm both say 30-33mm
But, when I searched the threads I see that it is possibly supposed to be 38-42....

I'm so confused:)

What's the story? Talk to me people:D

( I originally attempted to tighten the chain because I am having a snatchy throttle..., so, I guess it's not my chain...)
The confusion over chain tension is due to the method of measurement listed on the chain differing from the method listed in the service manual. They both work and yield chain slack that's within a few mill of each other.

Just read the sticker on the swingarm carefully and use that measurement, it's perfectly fine:

- push down on chain
- RELEASE
- measure from bottom of swingarm (NOT from the plastic chain guard, from the aluminum swingarm itself) to the center of the chain just in front of the big plastic chain guard.
- you're looking for about 1 1/4"

The service manual measurement is taken from the bottom of the plastic piece chain guard on the swingarm rather than the swingarm itself, and with the chain under tension. Different method, pretty close to the same result when all's said and done.

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
Adjust the throttle cables take most of the slack out them BUT be very aware of the instant response when twisting the grip.

You might want to do it in steps a little less play in the throttle, get used to it then do it again in a couple of days ,

The dealership said that they are required to leave" too much slack in the cables for saftey reasons ..if there was no slack and a newbe gives it tooo much throttle look out.
Adjust to your liking ,make sure there is at least tiny bit of play in the grip dealer says he has no slack in his own Hyper at all and that is how he likes it.

That chain adjustment instructions is confusing , better a little loose than too tight ...

Your chain guard is not moving ? It should. You are using a rear stand ? YES? NO? give it a little more grunt it should go ,,,If you break it there is always the Carbon Fiber replacement... Give it a whurl ...

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
Don't forget to apply the grease so the nuts don't get galled up .Two different metals there .Ounce of pervention could save you trouble later on...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Really sound advice so far but let me add my two cents to the endless chain adjustment problems.

My Hyper's chain would never stay in spec and by 2500 mi. it was spitting o-rings out on the rear rim. I took it to my Suzuki dealership and had them install a new DID chain and adjust it to 40 mm. sag.

10,000 miles later I haven't had to adjust it once, and I check it ever time I clean and lube the chain (every 600-700 mi.).

Stock DID chain a piece of junk? I'm just sayin'......

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Really sound advice so far but let me add my two cents to the endless chain adjustment problems.

My Hyper's chain would never stay in spec and by 2500 mi. it was spitting o-rings out on the rear rim. I took it to my Suzuki dealership and had them install a new DID chain and adjust it to 40 mm. sag.

10,000 miles later I haven't had to adjust it once, and I check it ever time I clean and lube the chain (every 600-700 mi.).

Stock DID chain a piece of junk? I'm just sayin'......

Yes, I had the same problem due to crappy o-rings. Mine started spitting them out around 3000 miles. I don't think it was due to maintenance or adjustment either. I stay on top of my maintenance pretty well and I have never had a chain do this.

Out!

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
wouldn't warrantee cover it @ 2500 miles?

Dr,J :sounds like you are noy beating on it hard enough:D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem due to crappy o-rings. Mine started spitting them out around 3000 miles. I don't think it was due to maintenance or adjustment either. I stay on top of my maintenance pretty well and I have never had a chain do this.

Out!
ditto... mine still doing it at 12000km. it will stop when all the o-rings are out. chain is still ok, just gotta keep it well lubed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
wouldn't warrantee cover it @ 2500 miles?

Dr,J :sounds like you are noy beating on it hard enough:D
Warranty? On a chain? I'd have a better chance of getting them to replace the rear tires because they wear out by 2000 mi.

As far as the beating goes your probably right. I'm beating it like a rented mule now, I guess I should be beating it like a red-headed step-child.

Too much fun.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adjust the throttle cables take most of the slack out them BUT be very aware of the instant response when twisting the grip.

Your chain guard is not moving ? It should. You are using a rear stand ? YES? NO? give it a little more grunt it should go ,,,If you break it there is always the Carbon Fiber replacement... Give it a whurl ...
Yes, I adjusted the throttle cables, there is no slack, just how I like it:)

Correct, my chain guard is not moving.
I am not using a rear stand.
I even tried using a spanner wrench.... pinch bolts totally loose....
she no want to move:(

Hm:confused:

Yes, I do relish any new opportunity to upgrade with CF.....he, he, he:)

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
Goin out on a limb here ...Maybe try puting some weight on the lower chain ? Like stepping on it , tap the two screws gently with a rubber mallet ??? Seems like maybe the grease is dried up or maybe there is crud in the slot which the 2 screws tighten ??See if there is any crud in the slot take a tooth pick and do a little diggin.. Have fun now , hope it is something simple...

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Goin out on a limb here ...Maybe try puting some weight on the lower chain ? Like stepping on it , tap the two screws gently with a rubber mallet ??? Seems like maybe the grease is dried up or maybe there is crud in the slot which the 2 screws tighten ??See if there is any crud in the slot take a tooth pick and do a little diggin.. Have fun now , hope it is something simple...
Currently I'm trapped in the cube at work:D, but when I get home I will get my toothpicks and start my mini-archaeological dig:)!

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
Yea on second thought there , weight on the chain doesn't seem like it would work after looking closer ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts