Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So, how does the chain tension effect the ride? Just did a track day yesterday and the tech told my chain was a little too loose, the one a couple tire changes before told me it was a little too tight... Honestly, I didn't see a difference.. mainly because my skill leve is Novice :D

What happens when the chain is too tight, and when it is too loose? Does it effect engine braking?

·
Registered
661 Posts
OK. So, how does the chain tension effect the ride? Just did a track day yesterday and the tech told my chain was a little too loose, the one a couple tire changes before told me it was a little too tight... Honestly, I didn't see a difference.. mainly because my skill leve is Novice :D

What happens when the chain is too tight, and when it is too loose? Does it effect engine braking?

Too tight, you can snap the chain under acceleration. To loose, you can jump the sprocket. Either way, bad condition. Learn how to measure free-play on the chain, and check it from multiple locations. Chains will stretch in spots...

·
Registered
58 Posts
In terms of handling, you might feel some "chain lash" when going from acceleration to deceleration if the chain is too loose (if you're in gear). Instead of a smooth transition, there's a more sudden pull when the tension of the chain switches from from the top of the sprockets to the bottom.

Measure the chain tension when the bike is cold, and see where you are (this is for a Monster):

http://www.ducatisuite.com/chain.html

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Too tight can cause a load of problems, I had a chain snap because it was too tight.

Too loose (within reason) is not so bad, I run mine on the loose side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Too loose can cause a lash effect. If you are crusing at low RPM and go from slight deceleration to slight acceleration you feel a choppy clunk when the slack gets taken up in the chain. Too tight can cause sprocket wear and your suspension travel to bind up on compression.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Lot of good info.. I was being lazy because adjusting chain tension on my 749 requires "tools" :D I will make sure I get it right for the next track day.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Basically, especially for track use, you want your chain loose enough to allow your suspension to fully compress (within your set-up) under hard acceleration out of the corner. No more no less. Obviously this means you need to properly set-up your suspension first. Good luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Also pay attention to the the manual. Ducati specs call out chain tension measurement on the side stand. It gets tighter when you put on a paddock stand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts