Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question on adjusting the chain tension on my bike. Swingarm sticker says 61mm-63mm. Mine measures like 65mm after about 2K miles. I know that it's better to have a chain too loose than too tight. So is the 2mm I'm over the 63mm "worth" doing an adjustment? I'm just wondering what the tolerance is, or is the 61mm-63mm the "real" range?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although 2mm does not seem like much, I would adjust it. After about 2K, you are just starting to stretch the chain. It will continually do so until the life is gone in the chain. Adjust it now and plan on it every so often. An improperly adjusted chain will lead to premature wear on the transmission components.

Depending on how handy you are, this can be a simple adjustment. if you have never done so before, there are plenty of how to's out there.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Monkey,

I picked up an M1100 about a month ago. After a couple hundred miles, I looked at the chain and it was saggin' heavy in the middle. I threw it up on the stand and noticed the spec that said 63mm on the swingarm. 2.5 inches!?!?! That can't be right. I checked the silly little owners manual. Same thing. When the service manual arrived from Italy a couple days later, I checked that. Same thing. 63mm ain't right. There is NOT that much arc in the swingarm. In fact, I couldn't even measure 63mm; the chain would hit the bottom of the swingarm at about 40mm of movement and there was a lot more play than that going on....

So I swung (swang?) into the dealer to ask my favorite tech. His words, "I don't know or care what that sticker says, this is right" and wiggles the chain of a Monster 1100 that was up on another tech's lift. It was about 25 - 30mm of play. That's what I would have expected.

After 30+ years of adjusting chains, both personally and professionally, I can pretty much see how much arc there is in the swingarm in relation to the location of the counter sprocket and set the tension on sight/feel. I've been doing that since I was a kid. Now that I'm older and smarter, I like to know the manufacturer's spec just to be anal retentive.

To the other point: yes looser is better than too tight, because too tight will eat your gearbox, but at 63+ mm of flop, you run the risk of a dangerous derailment of the chain. So too tight is bad, and too loose is also bad.

Since we don't seem to be able to find out what the real spec should be, I've got mine set to 30mm or so. It could prolly be a little tighter , but I'm playing it up the middle for now.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Read the Manual carefully.

Look at the manual again. It's not saying measure the total slack in the chain. It's saying to measure from the bottom of the swingarm to the chain when the chain is pulled down. Big Difference. This is how it's checked on the 999 also becasue when the chain is adjusted properly it will hit the slider on the bottom of the swingarm when pushed up.

But even so, 63mm still sounds like a lot!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whoa! Thanks for the catch. I hadn't notice that the official materials gave a measurement that was swingarm to chain, I just gave a look at the numbers from an old habit that the spec would always be the total freeplay.....I'll give a re-look and will be dang curious to see if it changes from what I set...???

So much for retentiveness and attention to detail, eh...???

Jim

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I always go with the "touch the bottom of the swingarm" method with any bike. Never had a problem. Better loose than tight. Might be lucky. Whatever. I only need to adjust my chains maybe once every 6000 miles or so. Hmmm...
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where did you guys find a spanner wrench that works on the '09 Monster 1100????

Mat
Soldotna, AK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts