Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to replace the chain on my 749. bike is only for street use. need some recommendation on what chain to get and where. should i also replace the sprockets?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
DiD ZVM2. X-Ring chain designed for heavy, long lasting street use. I have it on my 749 track bike. How many miles? As a general rule, yes. Replacing sprockets is rather cheap insurance to prevent early chain wear. But if it's fairly low mileage and there's no damage you may be OK. I've installed a chain on old sprocket before with great results. Last time I did it, still got 12,000 miles out of the chain. If it's fairly low mileage or the sprokets look great, you're most likely going to be OK. I would be hesitant of putting a new chain on old sprockets that were carrying a bad chain however.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
DiD ZVM2. X-Ring chain designed for heavy, long lasting street use. I have it on my 749 track bike. How many miles? As a general rule, yes. Replacing sprockets is rather cheap insurance to prevent early chain wear. But if it's fairly low mileage and there's no damage you may be OK. I've installed a chain on old sprocket before with great results. Last time I did it, still got 12,000 miles out of the chain. If it's fairly low mileage or the sprokets look great, you're most likely going to be OK. I would be hesitant of putting a new chain on old sprockets that were carrying a bad chain however.
+1
I use a DiD ZVM2 on my road bikes (when i replace the original one) and a ERV3 (I don't recommand using this on your road bike) on my track bike. Both are great quality chains.
I always replace chain and sprocket at the same time, never tried just replacing the chain so I don't know how that turns out.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
+1 on ZVM2... If longevity is a priority, then you may want to consider steel sprockets as well. Don't go cheap on the front sprocket, I went with a cheepo JT front sprocket once because AFAM was out of stock at the time. After about 1k miles, it chipped a tooth and wiped out an expensive DID ERV2 chain. The chain didn't break, but the rollers got all chewed up.

I replaced that chain/sprocket set with RK/Vortex kit (14/43T) available online for about$200 or less expecting 4-5K miles out of it and was pleasantly suprised that all were in perfect shape 8k miles later. Most of these kits come with RK XSO/GXSO (GSXO is gold plated) series which is a great chain for the price. Try to get one with a rivet masterlink, or spend a couple extra bucks to get one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. bike currently has 9500miles. where is the best place to get a set with sprockets?

·
Registered
168 Posts
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/16158/1/ducati.html

When I first needed a chain for my Ducati I did a lot of shopping. I ended up finding this place. At the time (two years ago) I got the best deal anywhere for an RK X Ring chain with the AFAM quick change hub and both sprockets in steel. The chain now has 14,000 miles on it, still going. I spent quite some time researching this. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere. Prove me wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try whitebuffaloracing.com for excellent pricing on sprockets, ZVM2 chain and rivet links. Reasonable shipping too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I purchased a new chain and sprockets from sprocket center recently. I was happy with their prices, etc.

If you are replacing everything, think about changing the gearing. It can make a world of difference in the bike's feel. There are a few threads you can read about people's experiences.

C

·
Registered
511 Posts
DID ZVM. I've got a Sidewinder Stealth steel outer and aluminum inner, with their companion front, unknown brand on the front. I've had bad experiences with both Tsubaki and RK, so I stick with the DID.

Call Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing for the chain, Dan or Alex will cut you a good deal.

http://www.kyleusa.com/Home_Page.php

I bought my sprockets from Krause Racing/Sidewinder.

Here's Krause's Titanium series, lifetime guarantee, not cheap though.

http://sidewindersprockets.com/titaniumII-sprockets.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts