Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new chain and the master link plate is not going on the rivets very easy. I feel like I am using excessive force to get the plate on and I don't want to damage the link or the $160 chain. Any helpful points out there? I don't have a chain tool on hand. I borrowed a rivet squeezer from work in order to brad the rivet, but I didn't expect the plate to be this hard to install.

My old chain had 15,000 miles on it, and I'm surprised at how bad the condition was when I removed it. I will be paying better attention to the chain from now on. If I get this one on...:D

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The plate is meant to be a very tight fit on the rivets. You really should invest in a proper chain tool. I have the RK chain tool and it is designed to press the plate on to the rivets to the correct depth...

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/102321/rk-pro-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit.html

You can't go wrong with the proper tools. If you try to press the plate on manually, you run the risk of pressing it on too tightly and binding up the link!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
As Turbo says the correct tool will make the job a lot more straight forward but the chain should have come with a special spacer to set the correct gap and avoid over-tightening.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chain installation complete! Thanks for the info. I hit it with my purse a few times to get the link on.:D I did utilize the spacers to avoid over tightening.

The bike feels a WHOLE lot better. My bike was actually starting to surge a little, and the chain was the problem. I can actually lay the chains side by side and move the old chain 1-2 links when I stretch it. That was how much slop there was in the chain.:eek:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Wow, 1-2 links is YUK! My "shot" chain on my ST2 came off at 28,000 miles, and did not have even close to that amount of "stretch". I know it was 1 or 2 individual bushings that "went" at those miles, and I think I induced the failure via over-tightening the chain just a tad.

Please be sure not to over tighten the new chain. Err on the slack side of the adjustment.

As mentioned plenty of times in here, the chain GETS TIGHTER as the swingarm travels upward to the point where all 3 axis are in allignment (ft.&rear sprockets + swingarm pivot).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up Stick. I have always measured out my chain adjustment by the book, and I agree a little loose is better then too tight. I bought the bike with 11k on it, and you could tell the chain was neglected. I will be giving my chain a little more love. It runs like a champ now.:D

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
as far as chain tension, a good trick I read was to put the bike on the ground and sit on it. have a friend lift the bottom of the chain and try and move it up to hit the swing arm. If it hits, it's too loose.

BTW, I have 20K on my ST and just mounted a new rear tire, Chain and sprockets insprection looked good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
fink

That's the test I use as well. If it just touches, I call it good.

With regular chain cleaning (this time around), I hope my new chain holds up better than the last one. But, I won't hesitate to toss it if it goes wonky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts