Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

i've been hearing different things about chain lubrication for an 848. The manual says its an o-ring chain and simply says if you lubricate it, dont use certain penetrating substances. It does not mention how often you should do it. I have seen online that some people lube their chain once every 500 miles! And i have seen some people say that o-ring chains have their lubricant sealed in and that they never lube their chain and its totally fine - one person even said they had a ninja and had done 10,000 miles and had never lubricated their o-ring chain and only rechecked the tension once.

whats the deal!!?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I lube the chain after every ride. While the chain is hot I spray the chain with lube then wipe off the extra lube off of the chain. The chain is done and taken care of, at about every five hundred miles I adjust the chain.

Never had a problem doing this with my chain.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I believe the chain lube is more for the contact points of the chain to sprockets. Yes, it does lubricate the joints in non o-ring chains, but with o-ring chains the pins are permanently lubricated since any amount of lube will not get past the seal of the o-ring unless the o-ring is damaged in some way. IMO, without lube the chain and sprockets will wear out prematurely. Listen to the difference -- spin the wheel before lubing -- pretty noisy -- after lubing the chain it quieter. Lubrication is a cushion, helps things slide easier.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
if you want to know for sure, lube it with motul spray chain lube and leave it sit for a couple of hours or apply gear oil with a brush and wipe off the excess, take it for a ride and check the temperature of your chain. next ride it for a few months without lubing it at all and then check the temperature after a ride, your finger will do as a temperature gauge. you'll notice a significant difference, and when a chain gets hot due to friction between it and the sprocket the internal grease leaks out and the chain then deteriates very quickly. i found this out the hard way on a trip in the rain, i was diligently lubing the chain every time i stopped for fuel but the last fuel stop before the last leg home i skipped it, got home to find quite a few of the rollers were missing and this was a super heavy duty chain with not alot of miles on it.

short answer get a scottoiler, put the bottle somewhere you can see it easily, on one of my other bikes it up under the seat and i've missed refilling it thinking i had ages till it would need refilling, should get 600 miles before having to refill but i had it turned up a little high. oops :)

oh and if you don't know what a scottoiler is, it's an automatic chain lubing system running of inlet vacuum, puts a drop of oil, on average, onto the chain every second or so. i like the dual head version personally, seems to lube both sides properly also it's a bit more discreet than the single head.

http://www.scottoiler.com/SuitableKits/Ducati/848

forgot to mention i've heard of people getting 30,000miles + from one chain

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I will say this, I always clean and lube my chains with wd40. Forget chain lube.
If you do this often it will give you a well lubed, clean and long lasting chain. I think chain "tension" is more important anyway. Make sure its not too tight. Just my 2 cents.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm ok. Well im just trying to find out something. I've done 1500 miles on a new 848 and i went over the chain with wd40 a couple of times.... maybe at about 600 miles and 1200 miles. All ive been doing is going over the chain lightly with a spray (not the red tube nozzle).

Now yea, i probably should have done more, but my bike has been in the shop recently because the speedometer has broken and needs replacement (warranty). The mechanic is saying that i havent oiled my chain enough and im going to need to replace the sprokets soon because of it.

can this happen if all ive used is wd40 on it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
According to the article in the link I put up that it can happen. (Webbikworld)

Also has info on wd40 usage on chains.
Basically it says "Moral of the story is to no use wd40 on motorcycle chains"

I use this.
Metal Friction Reducer. A little more than wd-40 but alot less than sprockets and chains.

Here's another article. It also says that it's bad for bicycle chains.
Why WD-40 is bad for bicycle chains

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
WD40 is actually really good for cleaning a chain though, you just need to make sure you wipe it all off (I spray mine with my air compressor after wiping it) and apply a good motorcycle specific chain lube after.

·
Registered
724 Posts
WD40 is actually really good for cleaning a chain though, you just need to make sure you wipe it all off (I spray mine with my air compressor after wiping it) and apply a good motorcycle specific chain lube after.
You need to be careful not to use too much pressure if blowing something off with air that has or needs lubrication (not really recommended) unless the area is COMPLETELY exposed. Same with a pressure washer: Too much air or water pressure will cause the seals to unseat allowing dirt, grit and or water into the areas the seals were meant to protect. The seals reseat and the moisture and dirt is trapped. If there are no seals but lubrication is required, attempting to clean an area that is dirty with pressure will actually increase the chance of getting dirt were you don’t want it.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
WD-40 to clean..in fact I use WD-40 to clean my wheels, engine, calipers, frame, under seat, virtually anyhtinh that gets grimy.
I use Motul chainlube for the track, and Chainwax for the street. I actually like chainwax more. No mess at all. But, the chain must be warm.
Little blow torch action is OK..

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Got it on my ST2, SS, and 999R.

Only way to get rear aluminum sprockets to last longer than the chain.

Tom
Hey Tom, i was starting to think i was the only one :)

oh forgot to mention, if you use a scottoiler there's none of that sticky oil, just plain oil (might be fork oil, but not sure) anyway because there's a constant supply there's no need for it to be sticky so dirt doesn't stick to it so readily and create grinding paste, so not so much of a need to clean the chain all the time and the rear wheel is easier to clean as well. every now and then i wipe the chain with paper towel from the kitchen. and just use motul spray and shine on the wheels, it cleans really gently and leaves a nice coating on the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts