Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what chain lube do you use and why?

i've been using spray chain wax. it flings all over the place and i am looking for something better.

TIA!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use spray teflon wax stuff, it doesnt go anywhere. But I will probably switch to gear oil when this runs out.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
80/90 wt. gear oil and wipe chain down with a terry cloth towel (rag of course) before and after application. Don't use too much. Why gear oil? Works great, doesn't pick up much dirt or make a fling-off mess (if you don't use too much and you wipe off excess) and it's cheap :D.
Joe
P.S. I finally posted pics of my 1997 900 SS/SP track bike in the Supersport Pictures Thread if anyone is interested. Quite a feat with dial-up !

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have used all types but have found that I just use WD-40 sprayed on a rag and wiped on the chain, mainly to clean and rust proof.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
cheap - CRC do a spray can of white lithium grease with PTFE (teflon to you and me except they arent allowed to call it that) works

I like - belray super clean chain wax - good stuff , not much fling

$$$ - is a Motul synthetical chain lube

to be avoided - silkolene titanium absolute crap, flingy, sticky, yukky

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chain lube is a scam ...a quality gear oil is cheap, keeps the chain clean and makes the chain last longer imho
i have some nice gear oil. won't dust and dirt stick to it?

someone suggested a dupont product, multi-use dry lubricant (wax base, i think). any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Motul chain lube, factory line.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Australian & New Zealand lube source

In ANZ we have a product called No Chukka Chain Lube.

Chuck is a colloquialism for throw down here and this stuff is definitely "No Chukka" They also do a very good chain cleaner.

Remember it is best to clean and lube your chain whilst it is warm and spray it on the inside so gravity and centrifugal forces disperse it better.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Extra virgin olive oil...for the Ducatis anyway. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have some nice gear oil. won't dust and dirt stick to it?

someone suggested a dupont product, multi-use dry lubricant (wax base, i think). any thoughts?
The Dupont stuff is what I use after cleaning the hot chain with WD40 and wiping it down well with a rag.

Cheap and good. Get it a Lowe's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
what chain lube do you use and why?

i've been using spray chain wax. it flings all over the place and i am looking for something better.

TIA!
Didn't you just ask this on Pelican?:D

Welcome to the forum. These guys are great, and have been a big help to me with my 900 SS.

To answer your question here, and address another issue while I'm at it, I use the clean with WD40 / oil with 20w-50 motor oil approach. Works great.

The "other issue" is concerning WD40. You guys using it as a lube need to understand it is most decidedly not. It is a cleaner and penetrating oil, initially developed to displace water from circut boards for military applications in the '50's ("WD"= "water displacement"; "40" = the 40th iteration.) You need to add a lubricant of some kind after spraying down the chain with WD40.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't you just ask this on Pelican?:D

Welcome to the forum. These guys are great, and have been a big help to me with my 900 SS.

To answer your question here, and address another issue while I'm at it, I use the clean with WD40 / oil with 20w-50 motor oil approach. Works great.

The "other issue" is concerning WD40. You guys using it as a lube need to understand it is most decidedly not. It is a cleaner and penetrating oil, initially developed to displace water from circut boards for military applications in the '50's ("WD"= "water displacement"; "40" = the 40th iteration.) You need to add a lubricant of some kind after spraying down the chain with WD40.
of course i did! more brains in the trust = more information!

what's your handle on PP?

i just got back from the local ducati shop, having my suspension set (to PO had set everything FULL soft). its like a new bike. anyway, Matt, at the shop, said he uses WD-40 to clean and then a light chain wax or other lubricant to seal out water. he said that cleanliness is what will make the difference.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use my real name on Pelican; I'm on your chain lube thread over there as well. It should be easy enough to nail me down. Shaun, Britwrench, and myself are the other 900 SS owners over there.

Funny about the full soft suspension setting on your bike. Mine came from its PO the same way. It was so new to me, and coming from a background of plush Harleys, I didn't know any better. It took me a year (and comments from a guy at a dyno run) to figure out something was amiss. Following advice given right here on this forum, I was able to set front and rear loaded and unloaded sag and both rebound and compression damping. It transformed my bike, making it far more stable and precise in its handling.

Back to the chain - the guy at the shop is right on with regards to cleanliness. A clean chain will outlast a dirty, neglected one several fold. That's part of why motor oil works so good; you can clean and re-apply so easily. The stickier or waxier lubes are a bitch to clean off, so many won't remain as diligent about it as they should. Dirt sticks to them better, they don't get cleaned off as often, and the chain and sprockets get sanded down by all the imbedded grit. A dry chain would be better than that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use my real name on Pelican; I'm on your chain lube thread over there as well. It should be easy enough to nail me down. Shaun, Britwrench, and myself are the other 900 SS owners over there.

Funny about the full soft suspension setting on your bike. Mine came from its PO the same way. It was so new to me, and coming from a background of plush Harleys, I didn't know any better. It took me a year (and comments from a guy at a dyno run) to figure out something was amiss. Following advice given right here on this forum, I was able to set front and rear loaded and unloaded sag and both rebound and compression damping. It transformed my bike, making it far more stable and precise in its handling.

Back to the chain - the guy at the shop is right on with regards to cleanliness. A clean chain will outlast a dirty, neglected one several fold. That's part of why motor oil works so good; you can clean and re-apply so easily. The stickier or waxier lubes are a bitch to clean off, so many won't remain as diligent about it as they should. Dirt sticks to them better, they don't get cleaned off as often, and the chain and sprockets get sanded down by all the imbedded grit. A dry chain would be better than that.
i MIGHT have been able to set my suspension properly. matt at salt lake motorsports did it without a misstep. it took less than an hour and it is beautiful. seriously, the best $60 i've ever spent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
figured it out, j. ;) i am slow, very slow...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Dupont stuff is what I use after cleaning the hot chain with WD40 and wiping it down well with a rag.

Cheap and good. Get it a Lowe's.
is there a trick to wiping it down without a center stand? or do i roll the bike and wipe as i go?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Most of us using WD40 understand quite well what it is, including the history associated. From the Hall of Wisdom section of the site:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=28137

·
Registered
246 Posts
A rear stand will lift the back of your SS up by the swingarm and allow you to rotate the rear tire and chain. If you don't own one yet, you need one and will love it for all time.
My chain is needing a major cleaning, and I'm converting to gear-lube as all the lube sprays I've tried, just coat and cake, requiring a lot of extra effort to clean, especially the side plates which don't even need lube.
I set the bike on the stand, and slide a piece of old carboard under the bike to catch the drippings. I brush on water white kero and then get to work loosening the crud.
This time I'm going to try gear oil. Might look at a Scottoiler as well unless I find a shaftdrive conversion kit for a 90's SS. j/k

dez

1 - 20 of 21 Posts