Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know...lame question, but I gotta ask: what kind/ brand do y'all use? I was at the local motorcycle shop and encountered a bunch:

PJ1
Maxima
Bel-Ray
Motul
Repsol
etc.

I went with the Repsol just cause I like the way it sprays out of the can (ha!) but I know there's tons more, and synthetic, partial synthetic, etc. Wanted to hear what works best for everyone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use Motul and/or Maxima chain wax. No real reason other than that's what was available at the shop.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've been using Repsol too. It does the job and doesn't get too black. Before that I used Bel-Ray, Motul and Suzuki, all of which did the job as well. I would like to hear from some other people too... especially anyone who has used chain wax or gear oil...

I just hate having to clean thick muck off the wheels and pretty much all over the rear half of the bike. The previous owner of one of my bikes used some strange lube that got all over the back side of the bike. This of course cemented hundreds of pebbles and dirt all over. It took me hours and a whole bottle of degreaser to take it off.

P

·
0 Posts
I started using Pj1 Blue lable after reading an article in Sportrider while back. From what I read, in term of lubrication and protection, Pj1 was rated the highest, but didn't score so high in cleanliness. Me I like Blue lable Pj1.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Maxima in the gold can...absolutely 100% ZERO sling every time. I NEVER have to clean off my wheels no matter how heavy I put it on.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
rk lube ,used the wax but it don't last.and after a few coats looks like hell.

·
Registered
382 Posts
galaxy said:
Maxima in the gold can...absolutely 100% ZERO sling every time. I NEVER have to clean off my wheels no matter how heavy I put it on.

+1... That stuff is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
407 Posts
For winter storage or after rain I use Maxima, otherwise I simply use WD-40 applied while the chain is still warm & gently wiped off immediately thereafter (put the bike on a rear track stand so it's easy to apply and wipe off by spinning the wheel with one hand and holding a rag around the chain with the other hand....

A good quality O or X ring chain is internally lubed, you only need to keep it clean and prevent rust from starting.

Chain maint. is a very personal issue, right up there with what brand/weight oil, coolant/antifreeze, tires and air pressure....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bel-Ray, forget which version, comes out white. Also zero fling-off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
chainlube

this is my first post...just bought a 99 748..yellow...i've been using Dupont teflon mulitiuse lubricant on my ktm's...got the idea from reading moto consumers guide mag. has worked great and absolutely no sling..it's teflon.... :D :alien:

·
Registered
108 Posts
motomaj said:
this is my first post...just bought a 99 748..yellow...i've been using Dupont teflon mulitiuse lubricant on my ktm's...got the idea from reading moto consumers guide mag. has worked great and absolutely no sling..it's teflon.... :D :alien:
That's what LT Snyder recommends too. I might have to give it a try. Love the Maxima though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts