Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 999. About 5000 miles or so ago I installed a new chain-DID 525 w/ 15/41T gearing. When the guys installed the chain the left it long, so I was able to try out different rear sprockets. Rear was wearing a bit(aluminum) so I went to a 42T up one. When I reinstalled the chain, the 1st adjuster mark just barely lines up w/ the swing arm mark.
Am I asking for it w/ such a short wheel base ? Should I just replace the chain w/ the proper links?
The chain is in great shape when I measure it for wear, well w/ in tolerences.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if you are ok with the way bike handles, given the short wheelbase, and there is no rubbing or clearance issues I would leave the chain alone.

·
comrade moderator
26,976 Posts
How hard are you riding the bike? If you're looking for that last tenth at the racetrack, then you will want to experiment. Otherwise it's fine.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it out for a spin...I have to say that a 15/42T combo really is easy on the clutch. I just went up 1 and the difference is very noticable pulling away from a stop. It's also much quicker, which is something I really didn't expect from such a small increase. It revs out quicker, but far from excessive. Handles better, but I just replaced two tires on it which already made a difference.
It's also far from need of replacement. Ducati says that a 16 link section should be no longer than 256.5 mm or a little over 10 inches long (measured half link to half link) and I'm way under that.
Thanks for the responses!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts