Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,061 Posts
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Oh wait. Can I say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dar specifically states that a sealed chain needs absolutely no other lubricant other than a slightly oil damped cloth to prevent surface rust, and that to not believe this is being mis-informed. He then backtracked on that with the claim " I do keep it lubricated but only sparingly and not showered. " which is more in line with reality
Now, now, you're jumping the shark here. "slightly oil damped cloth" is the same as "sparingly and not showered".
I've provided two videos of experts that states that cleaning is more important than lubing. That does not imply that the former replaces the latter. It depends on what you use to clean. Michael Neeves at MCN stated that he never lubes. That's because what he cleans with (after each ride day) contains a lubricating additive. If your cleaner does not, like Kerosene or Simple Green, then you got to add a bit as a finishing touch to keep the rust away and the rubbers wet. Anything more, and you're attracting road grim and make your maintenance all that more difficult, especially if you let it go awhile between jobs.

·
19,061 Posts
Damn, I wish I had pitchers to support the story I’m bout to tell. I’m sure if someone searches the archives about 10 or so years ago, maybe more, it could be found when I first witnessed this. True story.

A neighbor down the road bought one of the Kawi Eddy Lawson replicas when they first came out. Tom, is a mechanic working for Central Van Lines. I hated loaning him tools cause he always broke them. He had no idea what less than 150 lb/ft was.

I saw the bike the day he rode it home. He never once cleaned the chain. He rode to work every day rain or shine in a really nasty part of Houston. 18 wheeler city. Nasty roads.

All he ever did for the chain was dump more of some oil they used on 18 wheelers for God knows what. I swear it was so gunked up you could barely tell where the links were.

I witnessed when he changed out the OEM chain and sprockets at 55,000 miles.

Fucking true as shit story. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
That's because it's an Eddy Lawson chain. Had it been Wes Cooley's it may not have lasted as long.
Joking aside, and having digested what you wrote, I think there's maybe two facets to this thread:
Maybe it's about having your bike look good day after day and not just about chain longevity.

Some people smoke all their live and live a long time.
My grand-father was a drinker and eventually the booze done him in. He got ran over by a Guiness truck.
(Not a true story)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah. My old 1998 VFR800. The big rear axle nut departed in flight along with the sprocket.
And this not long after it was serviced by an actual mechanic.
I was able to coast to a stop and call a tow.
Eventually fixed it up with used parts.
I have lots of other pics, but this says it. Stake that nut!

101_3364.JPG

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'll admit it was a really nasty cleaning job.
And iirc about $600 in parts, mostly from a part out.
Could not have done it alone.

·
Super Moderator
26,557 Posts
So DarR, what do you do with a brand new chain that's coated in that nasty, impossible to wipe off white grease? Asking cause I wanna be more like you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Okay, after reading all of this, I may simplify my cleaning/lubing process. To "start over", would it be like this? Clean thoroughly (I'm going to use chain cleaner), lube with Dupont chain wax (my preferred product) and then I'm good for the first ride? After that, periodically dampen a towel with WD40 and wipe down the chain.

After dirtier long rides or rain, just continue the WD40 treatment and stay away from cleaning/Dupont chain wax unless obviously necessary?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
So DarR, what do you do with a brand new chain that's coated in that nasty, impossible to wipe off white grease? Asking cause I wanna be more like you.
Your question is timely as I have just purchased a new quick change carrier with a 43T (up from 41T) for the Monster. This also necessitate a longer chain thus I opted to pimp-it-up with an EK black & gold 525 ZVX3 120 links chain. Yes, it does have that nasty coat of grease, but it's not as thick as what was on the DID 530 ZVM-X when I changed the gearing on the Multi. Consequently, I'll just give it a wipe initially to remove the excess and let daily attritional cleaning take its course.

20200505_083148.jpg 20200505_082907.jpg

·
19,061 Posts
For me, new chains go straight into the oil change tray and get cleaned with kerosene or diesel. I scrub that grease off with a tooth brush and hang to dry. Then lube as normal.

It’s probably good grease but I don’t like the way it flys all over the bike on the first ride. Even if I wipe off as much as I can.

·
Registered
934 Posts
On second thought, I might do that as well. I can't stand that stuff flying off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone ... another daft enquiry from me...
As a newbie to bikes with chains how often should I be adjusting and cleaning/waxing the chain on my 2006 MS?
Book says approx every 500 miles for adjustment and approx every 100 miles for cleaning etc depending on the weather ... how does that sound to all you seasoned Ducati Multistrada owners out there? Definitely dont want to get that wrong!!
Cheers
Bobby
I like a soft metal brush, WD 40, finished with a silicone spray. That's what I did with all of my dirt bikes. Put the bike on the stand, slowly rotate the rear wheel and soak with WD 40. Then carefully (no too much pressure) loosen old dried lube with the wire brush. Repeat several times with WD 40 until clean. Let the chain dry overnight and then soak with silicone spray while rotating. Carefully (some of the stories on this thread were gruesome) wipe off excess, let dry and apply silicone again. Future cleanings will be a good "rinse" with WD 40, dry overnight and apply silicone. This is inexpensive, keeps chain lube from getting all over your bike, and it works. I personally hate chain lube, overpriced and in my opinion attracts more dirt and debris than a dry chain. But please give me some feedback if you folks disagree. thanks!I

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone ... another daft enquiry from me...
As a newbie to bikes with chains how often should I be adjusting and cleaning/waxing the chain on my 2006 MS?
Book says approx every 500 miles for adjustment and approx every 100 miles for cleaning etc depending on the weather ... how does that sound to all you seasoned Ducati Multistrada owners out there? Definitely dont want to get that wrong!!
Cheers
Bobby
I had a 2005 which I sold in 2011 when I bought a new 1200 S. The tool from my 2005 doesn’t work on the newer bike, so I have never adjusted the chain. I have had it done about twice and 11,000 miles. I don’t write and dirI had a 2005 which I sold in 2011 when I bought a new 1200 S. The tool from my 2005 doesn’t work on the newer bike, so I have never adjusted the chain. I have had it done about twice and 11,000 miles. I don’t ride in dirt, And I have never clean the chain. I have boiled it with a spray on lubricant about every 1000 or 2000 miles.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts