Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Didn't really look into it. but...It's really hard to beat a thick rag and WD-40 or other solvent. I just pour it on the rag...soaking and wipe down the chain. Cleans it like new. once clean, maintain t like you should...that-is not over-lube it.
If you're having trouble with such a grimy chain that you need a special gizmo to clean it then you're definitely "over-loving" your chain.
Keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I am in the WD40 camp. I've tried all different lubes, methods over the years and gool ole WD seems about the best IMHO. Just clean it with WD every 300-500 miles depending on your riding and the chain stays nice and clean and it only takes about 5 minutes if you stay on top of it.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I bought and tried the Kettenmax a while ago. Hated the damned thing! Yes, it does get the chain nice and clean, but it's messy (no matter what their literature says, it spits kerosene all over the place as the chain runs through it!), it's fiddly to set up correctly and absolutely cleans no better than just using kerosene on a shop rag!

Kerosene or WD-40 on a red shop rag is all I use to clean my chain and I only do so around every 1,000 miles. I cup a folded rag under the chain, spray the cleaner on it, rub the chain and advance it a few links. I repeat until I've gone once round the chain. Takes all of 5 mins! After running the chain through a clean rag for a few revolutions, I spray on my lube of choice (DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose Lubricant). Takes another 5 mins. No mess, no fuss. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but what's this I hear about WD40...

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll put my money towards something else.
On a related note I've heard that WD40 will get past the o-rings and flush out the grease in the chain. Any truth to this rumor?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Never had a problem with WD40. It's my "go to" cleaner for chain, wheel gunk, sticker goo...:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm with Turbo.
WD-40 just to clean. Then Dupont Multipurpose Teflon Spray for the lube.
It really makes no difference if you use WD-40 or Kerosene. Both have the same effect.
The key is a clean chain, not a gunked-up one.
I have a 1-gallon can of WD-40 and use a Windex-like spray bottle. Again, like Turbo I just spray it into the rag and wipe away.

I had a device like this for my bicycle chains, but it was very messy and far more complicated to set-up, use then clean as compared to a wet rag.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The secret is to merely WIPE the chain with a rag damp with WD40. Yes, it is possible to destroy a chain by getting entirely too radical with the cleaning. From personal experience I recommend NOT spraying the shit out of the chain directly with two cans of WD40.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 for the WD cleaning solution. Only addition is that I use this as my chain lube if I am riding in the rain. Every gas stop (~200mi) I put a light coating of WD on the chain to displace the water. At the end of the day clean it with WD then leave it overnight. First stop the next day, assuming no rain, after the chain is warm it gets lube.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I used WD40 exclusively on my VFR, and towards the end of my 20K mile ownership (5 years), I started using DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose Lubricant after the WD40. After 5 years, I only adjusted my chain ONCE, and just kept it clean. I currently use both the above on my ST, though I probably need to do it more often.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had good results with Motorex chain cleaner, safe on O and X ring chains, but would deffinately second WD-40...it's like liquid duct tape! Except for the fact that it's not silver, adhesive, or tape, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 for WD-40. Cleans real nice. Then I coat the chain lightly with Bel-Ray chain lube. No fling, no mess. Do this every 300-500 miles. No problems here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts