Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm setting myself up for abuse for opening a lubrication topic, but hear me out....

I'm unfortunately extremely sensitive to some chemicals, and the ultra volatile components of my current spray on chain cleaner and lube don't work for me, even with a NIOSH respirator and nitrile gloves. I've got some good alternative for cleaners, such as Simple Green Motorsports (I'll not mention WD40 to avoid a riot), and I'm not sure what to use for a lubricant. It seems like a motor oil, heavier oils like gearbox oil, and bar and chain oils have been used, and whatever Scottoiler uses for lube. Seems like the goal with an X or O ring chain is not to damage the rings and keep rust off of the plates, while avoiding fling.

So...anyone out there using a non-spray lubricant on their chain?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Dreaming of May! :)

But I love these squirt bottles of the Dupont chain lube. Nice and small and fits under the seat for long trips. It's also less messy then a spray other than the drips. And who cares about that in a motel parking lot. :)

Oh, and I get it at Walmart.

Good stuff.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Dreaming of May! :)

But I love these squirt bottles of the Dupont chain lube. Nice and small and fits under the seat for long trips. It's also less messy then a spray other than the drips. And who cares about that in a motel parking lot. :)

Oh, and I get it at Walmart.

Good stuff.
I use the same stuff. Been happy with it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, I'll check it out. The front label looks like it is the same volatility as the spray types. In fact, that's the same chain lube I've been using in aerosol form.

Any other suggestions?

·
19,081 Posts
thanks for the replies, I'll check it out. The front label looks like it is the same volatility as the spray types. In fact, that's the same chain lube I've been using in aerosol form.

Any other suggestions?

Except it's not an aerosol. No reason to get any on you or inhale vapors. If using it in a confined space do like I did when my kids were babies and I had to change dirty diapers, put a fan near by to blow the smell away. :)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Except it's not an aerosol. No reason to get any on you or inhale vapors. If using it in a confined space do like I did when my kids were babies and I had to change dirty diapers, put a fan near by to blow the smell away. :)
I know it's not an aerosol. How would you avoid inhaling vapors? No wait, don't answer please.

·
19,081 Posts
All kidding aside, how do you put gas in your bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you use a dirt repelling lubricant, you will not need a chain cleaner. The dry PTFE lubes I use are only available in aerosol I believe. However, Tri-Flow is not dry but is incredibly effective at keeping the chain clean. Before Dupont sued them and the they had to change the name from TriFlon, I started using it for every type of chain driven application. In particular, racing karts indoor on a dirt track. Went from replacing the chain pretty much every race, even special "dirt" chains to running them for a season. It, fortunately, is available in non-aerosol form: https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow-Sup...r=8-1-spons&keywords=tri-flow+lubricant&psc=1

However, it will speckle your rear wheel briefly after application. Wipes off easily with a rag though. I imagine it would be a winner if you aren't sensitive to it. I guarantee that as a chain lubricant it works very well because it keeps the grit off that is the source of wear.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use this stuff... Weldtite TF2 Teflon Lube.

It's made for pushbikes... But Weldtite say it can be used for motorcycles, and I find it works very well. I started using it when I discovered I couldn't buy the DuPont Teflon lube you guys have in the US here in Aus. It's EXTREMELY mess free. I get very little sling off using it, and I find that the chain stays clean for a long time. It sprays on and dries quickly, but the coating is a lot thinner than some motorcycle specific products, so I apply it a lot more frequently. I probably put a light coat on every 1-200km. 10 times to 1 I'd rather lube the thing twice as often than have to clean up a sprocket cover that's got an inch of horrible black grime on it.

Only time I've noticed any problem using it was when I was on a long tour and ran out of the stuff. Chain started to get a little noisy, but as soon as I got home, gave it a wipe down, and put another coat on it was smooth as silk again. It comes in a small can which fits nice and easily under the MTS seat too, so that's handy. It's almost certainly not providing as good protection as some other lubes out there, but I almost bought a belt/shaft drive bike just to avoid the horrible mess chains tend to make, so I'll happily replace the final drive a few hundred KM sooner if I can save myself from some of that!...

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
I've been using the Maxima stuff... can't say I'm really happy with it. The cleaner works well but the lube and wax don't stick well - lots of fling and needs to be reapplied often. I'm running low and will try something new.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Funny that I found this thread. I should mention first that I am a heavy mobile equipment mechanic by trade. That means I deal with lift chains on forklifts on a daily basis. Back to that in a minute.

Way back when, when I was a fairly new rider and kind of finding my way with things, all my "mentors" or other riders used a spray chain lube.

Being that we were in Europe, most used this hideously black paint like lube from ENI. It was nasty. It made everything black like paint and flung off like it was still wet after three or four days.

I felt like I had to find something better. Then, while reading through my owners manual for my 1989
ZX-7 I found that it recommended gear oil.

So I ended up using a paint brush and a bottle of 80W90 to lube my chain. It was cheap, and it worked so well my chain lasted me about 17K miles.

Then I moved back to the US, and finally here to NorCal. I've used Motul spay lube for about the last 10-15 years.

At work, were using a similar product for chain and wire rope. However, I found that it did pretty much what the Motul was doing on my drive chain , which was sitting on top of the chain rather than penetrating between the rollers and the sprocket.

I started using a spray bottle and some 80W140 synthetic gear lube to lubricate our forklift chains and got the penetration and lubrication I was looking for.

So, that's what I use on my chains at home now. A bottle of synthetic 80W140 runs about $14 a bottle at any local auto parts store. It lasts a really long time, even with multiple bikes in the garage. Oh, and I use a paint brush to apply it, just like I did back in the day.

It does fling off and makes a bit of a mess, but I don't mind so much. I had a gold Xring chain last just 2500 miles recently due to the o-rings drying out and disintegrating. Something I felt the Motul should have prevented.

I didn't have that problem with the gear oil previously and it sure does get down in there and keep them Xrings...err...moist.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maxima chain cleaner and wax

I've been using the Maxima stuff... can't say I'm really happy with it. The cleaner works well but the lube and wax don't stick well - lots of fling and needs to be reapplied often. I'm running low and will try something new.
I'm rather happy with it on my 08 S4RS :)

Granted I'm anal and clean & lube my chain about every 250 miles, very little fling on the wheel provided I leave it sit overnight :)
If I just let it sit 1hr or so, then yeah it flings a bit ;)

Keep the rubber side down
And Merry X-mas & a Happy New Year :)

L8tr
Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
@Iwannaduc and I were discussing this very topic in the not too distant past.

My experience has been similar with motorcycle chains, albeit over a much shorter span of time (that's right, I'm calling you an old fart :D). I can't comment from experience specifically on the longevity of chains on Ducati's relative to the lubricant used as I've only had my SS for 7 months, but I've seriously packed the mileage in on my daily rider 500 over several years. With that bike, I was having issues with wax-based spray lube penetrating. After I got a good 8k-10k mileage on the chain, it would squeak, even right after lubing it.

I finally switched to some 85w-140 synthetic I had hanging around and those problems vanished. Gear oil had past chains good for 30k miles. I used to apply it with a brush, just as Iwannaduc, but I recently got an old school little oil squirt can (think tin man from Wizard of Oz, but smaller) and have been using that. It does tend to fling a bit at first, but wipes off easily. It also helps to wipe off as much of the extra oil on the chain before you hit the road. If you get the amount just right though, fling can be avoided. Managed to nail it last time I lubed the chain on the SS this way, got enough to lube the chain but no fling.

·
Administrator
12,902 Posts
For the last 8 to 10 years I have been using Dupont spray stuff similar to the above with every good results...

I have been using this to clean: http://a.co/h65HMz9

And this to lube:http://a.co/6s7q8Gg

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Garage door spray lube works pretty well and is cheaper than chain lube. I’ve been cleaning bikes lately and none of mine was too bad after using it all year. I’ve found it best to let it set a while before riding.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you can tolerate wd40 that does the job just fine.

I have used only that from day 1 on 3 different chain and sproket sets. 35k miles on my last set. And I don't lube chain often, maybe each 600 miles or more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts