Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting to a 520 and want to verify the chain tool I'm going to use is up to the task. The borrowed tool (Hap Jones breaker, similar to this in design) states it's good for #25-#60 chains. Searching for dimensions revealed this:
Pitch Roller Diameter Roller Width
50 5/8" 0.400" 3/8"

520 5/8" 0.400" 1/4"

Seems similar enough for government work. I'm planning on dremel'ing off the stock chain and then using the above tool to rivet in my new one. Is this tool up to the task?

Any tips welcome.

Thanks
Chris

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I'm converting to a 520 and want to verify the chain tool I'm going to use is up to the task. The borrowed tool (Hap Jones breaker, similar to this in design) states it's good for #25-#60 chains. Searching for dimensions revealed this:
Pitch Roller Diameter Roller Width
50 5/8" 0.400" 3/8"

520 5/8" 0.400" 1/4"

Seems similar enough for government work. I'm planning on dremel'ing off the stock chain and then using the above tool to rivet in my new one. Is this tool up to the task?

Any tips welcome.

Thanks
Chris
You need a chain riveter to install a chain, not a chain breaker.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, sir. I'm laughing out loud at myself. I thought this kit had the ability to stake the pin on the master link, too. Now that I look closely, it doesn't. I was so caught up on the size question, I missed the big "Breaker" written on the box.

I found this knock-off of the DID tool on ebay. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
why are you going to a 520 chain? your profile says you have a 999.
If you are trying to save weight or make your bike faster, I am sure you can find less risky way of doing so. If that chain snaps, you will need a new motor case.
DID's website recommends 525.
999's have a wide torque band; lots of strain on that chain.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
to add to jcns comments, or add a case guard from DesmoTimes. Cheap insurance.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You are correct, sir. I'm laughing out loud at myself. I thought this kit had the ability to stake the pin on the master link, too. Now that I look closely, it doesn't. I was so caught up on the size question, I missed the big "Breaker" written on the box.

I found this knock-off of the DID tool on ebay. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.
I'm pretty sure that different sizes of chain take different sizes of rivets, so I if that's the case then I don't know what size chain this riveter is for...

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
That knock off tool does not list what size chain it will work on. I purchased an RK Chain Tool, Breaker, Press Fit and Rivet tool for about $100.00 that does all the size chains I have on my bikes. I am sure you can get one from one of the site sponsors

·
Registered
511 Posts
why are you going to a 520 chain? your profile says you have a 999.
If you are trying to save weight or make your bike faster, I am sure you can find less risky way of doing so. If that chain snaps, you will need a new motor case.
DID's website recommends 525.
999's have a wide torque band; lots of strain on that chain.
All the race teams use a 520 chain, less weight, very close to the same strength, also cheaper to buy. If you use a good quality chain like a DID ZVM there will be no problems. Check with Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing, he will set you straight with the right parts and good prices too, and he's the most knowledgeable guy I've ever met.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I have the DID tool(exc and worth the money), it works on most all sizes of chain, certainly 520 and 525.

Have to agree, don't see why to go to a 520 chain, negligible lightening of rotating mass and increase risk of chain breaking.

Also, the chain break took you listed in the beginning isn't stout enough to pop the pins in the chain so it's of little use on this size and type of chain.

Chris

I'm pretty sure that different sizes of chain take different sizes of rivets, so I if that's the case then I don't know what size chain this riveter is for...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
And how long do the race teams keep that chain before trading them out??? For road applications it seems rather pointless.
Chris

All the race teams use a 520 chain, less weight, very close to the same strength, also cheaper to buy. If you use a good quality chain like a DID ZVM there will be no problems. Check with Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing, he will set you straight with the right parts and good prices too, and he's the most knowledgeable guy I've ever met.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can't remember the last time I actually broke a chain, maybe cause I lube them? I am all for the 520 vs 525, however, there will be an appreciable difference in actual chain maintenance. (Less time between adjustments)

If you are a wheelie king, burn out monster, or generally neglect or beat the crap out of your duc, stay with the 525 or better yet 530

mark

·
Registered
511 Posts
520 chains last more or less the same as the 525, just the 525 costs about 50% more. The race bikes are putting out at least 50% more hp than your street bike is. I doubt if you would ever notice a difference in chain life or adjustment periods, at least if you are using a quality chain.

Here are some tensile strength specs.

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm

·
Registered
560 Posts
Right on Corndog, by the way, we are neighbors:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
520 chains last more or less the same as the 525, just the 525 costs about 50% more. The race bikes are putting out at least 50% more hp than your street bike is. I doubt if you would ever notice a difference in chain life or adjustment periods, at least if you are using a quality chain.

Here are some tensile strength specs.

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm
Race bikes do put out 50% more HP, but I do remember from my past life working motorcycle pit crew we replaced them about 4 times as often, maybe more.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Companies like DID and others only list one strength of chain per type. In other words, they only have one 520 type chain and it has a certain strength. It is entirely possible to have a range 520 size chains, each with a different strength and weight. This is what Sidewinder does.
http://sidewindersprockets.com/v-series_smart_chain.html
You can get 520 size chain in yield strengths from 7,000 lbs on up to 16,000 lbs. So, if you use the 16,000 lb strength chain, it won't break, and it won't stretch either, on most of our bikes. They use different materials for each strength level of chain. Apparently, other companies do not do this. The highest strength chain from Sidewinder is made from exotic materials and is therefore more expensive, but it does not weigh more. The company says it actually weighs less. They also make an extreme performance chain that has a yield strength of 17,000 lbs, but it's expensive...

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts