Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my chain, and stupid me I didn't count how many links that were on the chain, so anyways I don't feel like taking links out and I've been wanting to do a sprocket switch so I ask this...

I've got a 98 link chain on right now.

One: Will a 15 tooth sprocket fit in the front? It looks kind of cramped in there already with only a 14t in it now.

Two: I don't want to switch to an AFAM carrier set-up so does anyone make a rear sprocket that can directly replace the OEM one? I want a 40 or 41t rear sprocket to take up the additional 4 links.

Last question, are any of you guys running with 98 links?

Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess it would help if you told us what model/year your bike is first...

Mine has 15/38 setup. (stock gearing, aftermarket chain/sprockets/carrier)

http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/SprocketChangeGuide.html

Anyway, there are no OEM direct-replacement parts for Ducati rear-sprockets that I have ever seen. If you want to go aftermarket... you'll have to buy a new carrier.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do it yourself or don't have the tools, why don't you buy a new master-link, take your bike to a local shop, and have them adjust your chain's length for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i went ahead and drove 70 miles to get another master link, problem solved and thanks for the info on the carriers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chain size for Ducati 996s 1999

Hi,
I have bought rear sprocket 38 teeth, actually I have 36. So I will have 15/38 also. I am sure I will have to change the chain. The question is:
How many links for the 525 chain (15/38)? I was thinking of buying a DID 525 ZVM G&B chain...

Happy new year
Fernandoatun

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just did the 14/38 option and was recommended to add one full link. Even though the 14/38 can work as the rear sprocket is still bigger the offset from 14-38 still wants a slightly longer chain. This puts my axle right about 5-5:30 or so in the eccentric which according to Section 8 is a perfect spot. Adjust ride height from there and all is well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chain adjustment question

Here's a question while on the subject of chains and sprockets: I have 97 -748 Mono, bought the bike on ebay a year ago and needed to adjust the chain for the first time, there are NO teeth on the rear cam for the tool to hook into ! I pulled the rear sprocket to get a better look and definitely the cam is round and smooth with no evidence of there ever being any teeth or groove for the adjuster tool...
Anyone ever seen this ? More importantly how do I adjust the damn chain ?
I have apretty complete workshop, I am thinking I have to 'cut' a grrove in the cam so the tool can hook, however I can't see doing this easily without pulling the entire rear apart ... any wise ideas ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ideas? Short of replacing the eccentric, no.

It sounds like your cush drive shells backed out of the sprocket and ground the eccentric's teeth off. Common problem on the SSS Ducs. The aftermarket sprocket carriers have a tab in the back to prevent this.

You might be able to find some replacement parts on ebay, or check with Mike at Gotham. (he's on ebay too)

--Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts