Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on changing my sprockets/chain next weekend. This is not a task I've done before, but I have been reading through a bunch of threads here as well as reviewing some YouTube videos. I am going to go with a 15/42 combo with a 530 chain (kit from SprocketCenter). My question has to do with which chain alignment tool would be best? When I started putting together my order on SprocketCenter, they had some recommendations, but I figured I'd ask the experts here. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Single sided swingarm does not facilitate chain alignment. That is for the conventional dual arm swingers where you have to adjust each side.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Notwithstanding the MTS sprocket change, I do have a 2001 ST4 and a 1992 900. Is there good cause to look for an alignment tool now or just wait until one of those bikes will need a new sprocket/chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
In that case, I would buy with your future purchase. As Gadgetech mentioned, Motion Pro makes some great tools, I'd look at theirs first.

I always used the string method for rear wheel alignment. Once straight, it's easy to keep it that way with identical adjustments when the chain is too slack. Guess it's become an old fashioned way to do it.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll hold off for now. Im likely to sell the ST4 this year anyway, and I think at some point the 900SS will wind up on the mantle. LOL.

Regarding the sprocket/chain on the MTS, should I also invest in the DesmoTimes case saver? I figure if I am taking the front sprocket off anyway, now would be the time to do it. Besides, you guys just saved me a little coin by suggesting I hold off on the alignment tool for now. LOL :)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Thanks. I'll hold off for now. Im likely to sell the ST4 this year anyway, and I think at some point the 900SS will wind up on the mantle. LOL.

Regarding the sprocket/chain on the MTS, should I also invest in the DesmoTimes case saver? I figure if I am taking the front sprocket off anyway, now would be the time to do it. Besides, you guys just saved me a little coin by suggesting I hold off on the alignment tool for now. LOL :)
I don’t have an MTS, but I run case savers on all my Ducati’s. Super cheap insurance and I think well worth the cost and time to install.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think you'll find the chain alignment tool for the Multistrada and the Streetfighter is the handle bars :smile2:

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered my sprocket/chain kit from SprocketCenter 15/42) along with new Cush drive. Will let you know how the install goes when the parts arrive. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just ordered my sprocket/chain kit from SprocketCenter 15/42) along with new Cush drive. Will let you know how the install goes when the parts arrive. :)

I just did the same thing to my MTS last week (well, reused the cush drive). An impact wrench made light work or the big nuts. The hardest part of all that was torquing the front and rear sprocket nuts. As an amateur, ended up being a 2 person job - my buddy to sit on the bike for weight, stability and brakes - and then me on the big ol' wrench.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just did the same thing to my MTS last week (well, reused the cush drive). An impact wrench made light work or the big nuts. The hardest part of all that was torquing the front and rear sprocket nuts. As an amateur, ended up being a 2 person job - my buddy to sit on the bike for weight, stability and brakes - and then me on the big ol' wrench.

That’s cool. I’ll definitely get some help on holding down bike when it comes time to torque the wheel nuts. The part that has me most ‘apprehensive’ is making sure I get the chain on properly and that I ‘peen’ the master link correctly (I think that’s the right terminology). I’ve never done that before. Do I need a special tool for that?

I should probably ask same question about removing the old chain. Is there a special chain breaker I should buy?

·
Registered
152 Posts
That’s cool. I’ll definitely get some help on holding down bike when it comes time to torque the wheel nuts. The part that has me most ‘apprehensive’ is making sure I get the chain on properly and that I ‘peen’ the master link correctly (I think that’s the right terminology). I’ve never done that before. Do I need a special tool for that?

I should probably ask same question about removing the old chain. Is there a special chain breaker I should buy?

I'll let someone else comment on the chain. I had to get a chain on a road trip I just took and the dealer only had a chain - no sprockets in stock. I changed the sprockets as soon as I got home, but didn't have to break the new chain.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for duplicate post.

Thanks for link to the chain tool. Will take a look at that later this afternoon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Racerboy,
If this will be your first chain replacement (by yourself), get a pair of these. What they do is prevent you from over crushing the master and putting too much squeeze on its o-rings.

After you have "crushed" the master enough, you use vice grips or similar to remove the clips.

The master link looks like this:

You use the piece of the chain tool that looks like a small sphere or bearing to squeeze those pins open to prevent the tie strap from coming off.

I've used that very Motion Pro tool a LOT. It works great.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Wolverine! I just got off the phone with the folks over at Sprocket Center and they are going ot honor the price I would've paid for that tool if I had added it so my order this morning. They already shipped out my sprocket/chain kit, so I had to create a new order. Guy was super nice and helpful. Talk about great customer service!

I also asked about the little clips you posted, and the fellow at SC told me that they don't make those for the DID chain. He just told me to be careful in pressing the master and to watch how it's done on YouTube.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Use an angle grinder and grind off pin heads out just cut chain to remove it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts