Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have other folks experienced with carbon fiber mufflers? I had a CF muffler on my Gixxer and was not impressed with it. After a couple of years the ends began to swell. But maybe that is just a Yoshi issue.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
Mine have been on since '08 .... still look new and shine up pretty good once a year ....

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
They are fine, but do need maintenance. Most are packed with fiberglass that needs to be replaced occasionally. It degrades the fastest right at the inlets where the exhaust will be hottest. Once the stuff blows out, you have no heat insulation in that spot. You will start to break down the carbon resins and can even make burn spots. Something to keep an eye on for certain. Repacking is easy and inexpensive. You can get very high quality materials from eBay that is much better than the stuff I've found in the pipes originally. I have used this 1/2" thick mat a few times. Good stuff.

1 2" 20"x38" Techmat Motorcycle Exhaust Muffler Packing | eBay
Comes in different sizes. Measure your can length and then assume 3 or 4 tight wraps of material per side. Needs to be packed tight on the ends too, so if you measure 19" cans, get the 20" mat and stuff it in there good.

For the exterior, need to keep after it to prevent fading. Metal polish works pretty well.

Reactions: cagivaduc

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
When I had CF mufflers on my ST I did notice a slight tendency for by toe nails to curl more. But other than that I liked them. If you tend to be one that puts naked body parts up against the mufflers after riding the CF mufflers don't hurt nearly as bad. Seriously. :)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If you tend to be one that puts naked body parts up against the mufflers after riding the CF mufflers don't hurt nearly as bad. Seriously. :)
Right! When I had a 916 with CF cans, I could not believe that you could shut the engine off, dismount the bike, and place your entire hand on the CF can without getting burnt! unreal!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Had my GPR CF mufflers on for 10 years almost. They still look and sound as good as new.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
YES!!! 10 years of no work repacking 'em. I like the option of no work. Thank YOUUUUUUU! Steve

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
SS904 .... At what point do the CF cans need to be serviced / repacked .... after six years of use I cannot see or hear any difference in their performance .... I had thought at time of installation these were pretty much fit and forget other than a regular clean and shine .... thanks
Craig

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
SS904 .... At what point do the CF cans need to be serviced / repacked .... after six years of use I cannot see or hear any difference in their performance .... I had thought at time of installation these were pretty much fit and forget other than a regular clean and shine .... thanks
Craig

When they start sounding a bit rough. Sometimes you can feel a loss in mid range, but it happens over time, so you are more likely to notice an improvement after it's done. Best to feel around the inlets, especially at the bottom. If it feels notably hotter than the rest of the can, probably a good time to do the work. They can last years. I had a set of DP carbon pipes on my ST originally that I did twice over 35K miles. Second time I probably didn't really need it, but the first time I did it the original packing was gone at the inlets toward the bottom.

Best way to do it is to drill the inlet side rivets only. The outer can and end cap will slide off the baffle. The packing will normally go with the can, but sometimes it sticks to the baffle. Messy job. You tightly wrap the new packing around the baffle and then secure it with duct tape or safety wire so you can slip the can and end cap back in place.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks for the helpful 'how to'. Nice. Steve

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
Yes , Thanks Dan .... will be put on maintenance list , things to check .... doesn't sound like too big a job ...
Craig

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
YES!!! 10 years of no work repacking 'em. I like the option of no work. Thank YOUUUUUUU! Steve
I did pull one apart about 4 years ago to replace the packing but there was nothing wrong with the original stuff so back together it went. I will say that in total the bike has only traveled 34000kms though:frown2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts