Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i wet sand with 220 or 320 and re-clear with some good clear automotive paint.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I had gotten 800 and it wasn't making a dent- I will give it a go with a little courser grain!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Just for clear I wouldn't go any lower than 400 wet, more like 600, any more abrasive will cut the clear soo fast you'll be into the carbon before you know it.
A closer look shows pin holes and air pockets, before reclear dip a needle in some clear and fill the holes then wetsand and shoot.
If you see the water turning black STOP!, you are through the clear and into the fiber

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
A thread from a few years ago... there are a couple of other if my memory serves me well, but the process is pretty much the same as described here.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/149253-carbon-fiber-refinishing.html#post1452006

Sand/Wet Sand with a fairly fine grit paper taking care not to get down through the existing clear coat to the CF Mat, then clear coat with something that has good UV resistance. I would not worry about the pinholes... I have a set of DP Runners on my R that could not be more than 2 ply and there are pinholes everywhere. It's the tradeoff for light weight. Just remember that when they are on the bike, they will not be backlit and therefore not noticeable.

Take your time, wet sand between each clear coat, and the results will be impressive. I literally spent 10-15 hours when I refinished my runners... time well spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts