Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently added a few CF bits to my 748 with the upper, front fender, and lower cowling.

After the right side mid/lower side fairings literally flew off of the bike, I've picked up two decent replacements for both sides in red so a respray in the factory yellow is needed.

Should I also paint the CF upper fairing or leave it as is?

·
Registered
279 Posts
if it was me I'd be painting the tail red, not the fairings yellow.

I'd paint the nose too but leave part of the carbon exposed. I've seen it done really nicely a few different ways. sometimes just leave a bit above the left headlight that says ducati. looks cool.

something like this maybe?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Whichever way you choose, you're best off selling the panels that won't match and just buying the correct ones in decent used shape. Good pantwork is expensive. Plus, that right side panel is from '98. It was a 1 year only design--somebody probably needs that moderately rare piece. It appears the left side has no decals whatsoever, meaning it's either a respray or aftermarket panel.

Don't be a chooch. Definitely paint the carbon fiber upper. I would go even more understated than the example photo. Paint it (red or yellow) with the white number plate, but mask off "DUCATI" above the left headlight in that plate so you have the lettering in CF peeking through when you peel the tape--similar to how the side panels on the 996R/998R appear.

BTW, the photo above has Cagiva tank decals and Texas Pacific Group side panels. It annoys me.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a really good idea for the upper, nine16. The left side mid/lower is actually, as you called it, a respray (originally factory yellow) and I had no idea the right side was a rare piece (the E-Bay seller didn't either).

Interesting...kinda makes me not want to keep it on the bike to protect it.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Don't be a chooch. Definitely paint the carbon fiber upper. I would go even more understated than the example photo. Paint it (red or yellow) with the white number plate, but mask off "DUCATI" above the left headlight in that plate so you have the lettering in CF peeking through when you peel the tape--similar to how the side panels on the 996R/998R appear.

BTW, the photo above has Cagiva tank decals and Texas Pacific Group side panels. It annoys me.
Plus 1... in a big way. Always loved the farings on the 996R, which had this same paint masking technique. The 996R "characters" are actually masked off areas so once the paint is on, the CF shows thru the clear coat. It looks freaking awesome.

Color though? I'd go yellow... everyone knows it is the fastest color. ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've recently added a few CF bits to my 748 with the upper, front fender, and lower cowling.

After the right side mid/lower side fairings literally flew off of the bike, I've picked up two decent replacements for both sides in red so a respray in the factory yellow is needed.

Should I also paint the CF upper fairing or leave it as is?
I'm not sure about the best way to go about answering your questions....but your avatar is awesome! :D

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
That's a really good idea for the upper, nine16. The left side mid/lower is actually, as you called it, a respray (originally factory yellow) and I had no idea the right side was a rare piece (the E-Bay seller didn't either).

Interesting...kinda makes me not want to keep it on the bike to protect it.
Don't get too excited. I mean it's "rare" in that it was only used 1 year, but for all the red 748's/916's/and SPS's Ducati produced, whereas the designs before and after '98 each had 3-4 year runs, meaning roughly 3 or 4 times the production volume. It's just supply and demand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts