Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seem condensation leaks around the joints on my Ceramic Coated Exhaust on my 999R.. Making some fug ugly stains running down my pipes.. Is there a best way to clean these deposits off without harming the Ceramic??

Thanks all..

Merry Christmas..

RC

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Have you contacted the company that did your pipes? I've not had to clean anything off of mine except for road grime which came off pretty easily with warm water and dishwashing detergent. Essentially, I would think that you could use anything which is not "gritty" or would otherwise behave as a buffing compound, affecting the surface finish itself.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks prophet, but as I bought the bike with this set-up. I don't know who did the ceramic, but can only assume they're all about the same..

RC

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Thanks prophet, but as I bought the bike with this set-up. I don't know who did the ceramic, but can only assume they're all about the same..

RC
Understood... I had mine done at Jet Hot. Gimme a sec and I will see if they have anything on their site with regards to maintenance.

Edit: Found this... pretty much as I suspected. Non abrasive cleansers and applicators only...

http://hotshotusa.net/coatingmaintenance.html

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Daddy-o.. I was planning on cotton towel and Windex.. But the Windex is abrasive as I recall.. Simple Green and Cotton Towel per your Jet Hot posting. Hope it works.

Thank you.

RC

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whodathunkit.... Update..

Well today I spent some quality time with my R cleaning the condensation deposits that have leaked past some of the slip joints on my Ceramic Coated Exhaust.. Rust remover... Nah.. no joy, Simple Green, some improvement. Windex, even better but not really.. Various other solvents such as Brake cleaner, then Carb cleaner.. Nope... then got to thinking... These are basically water deposits with some petrol chems mixed in, but the base carrier is water.. So, out of desperation I try a shower cleaner called Shower Power.... After all, this stuff is designed to remove hard water deposits.. And.. Shazaam! Shower Power and a tooth brush.. Removed all the deposits. even the burned on stuff that I fully expected to be cooked in and never come off.. Exhaust now looks as new..

So, if you want a great exhaust cleaner that also works as a shower cleaner.. Shower Power is no longer available in stores.. You have to buy it on-line.. Disclaimer... I have no affiliation with Shower Power.. Just passing on a tip to fellow riders..

Merry Christmas everybody..

RC

·
Smut peddler
1,053 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Just so you know, Shazaam is the local .MS guru around here, I think he's patented that catch phrase. Prolly should send him a $5 royalty before a couple guidos, or worse, lawyers come to your front door.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Well if you can't get shower power, I've always found that isopropyl alcohol has worked well in cleaning my ceramic coated exhausts. I particularly use it to get off the finger prints when I have to reassemble the exhaust prior to the first start up.

Ron

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Glad you got it cleaned, but...

1) Why is there water in your exhaust gas? Did you perfect a hydrogen fuel cell motor?
2) Ceramic coating does not mean you shouldn't seal the joints.

Generally, if joints aren't sealed, you see soot.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

1) Why is there water in your exhaust gas? Did you perfect a hydrogen fuel cell motor?
2) Ceramic coating does not mean you shouldn't seal the joints.

Generally, if joints aren't sealed, you see soot.
Nine... I'm assuming on start-up, it's when the hot exhaust gases hit the cold metal of the tubing as well as the cold muffler innards forming condensation.. Same thing happens on all my other vehicles when started cold.. Except on them the muffler is not mounted in a down slope position "towards" the engine vs most other systems of horizontal mount or slope slightly towards the outlet allowing both gravity as well as exhaust pres/flow sending it out. Next time I have this apart I'll be adding sealant to the joints..

I missed out on the hydrogen Duc development unfortunately,, :wink2:

Have Happy New Year..

RC

RC

·
Registered
246 Posts
The ceramic coater I used recommends this, Mothers® Billet Metal Polish for all of their exhaust finishes.
I have the same tiny leak at one of the joints on my bikes exhaust that I have to pay a little bit more attention to when it is time for a cleaning and this product works great!

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
The ceramic coater I used recommends this, Mothers® Billet Metal Polish for all of their exhaust finishes.
I have the same tiny leak at one of the joints on my bikes exhaust that I have to pay a little bit more attention to when it is time for a cleaning and this product works great!
Just keep in mind if you have one of the ceramic coat satin finishes, you cannot use any polish or buffing type compound as you will end up affecting the surface finish in that area.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just keep in mind if you have one of the ceramic coat satin finishes, you cannot use any polish or buffing type compound as you will end up affecting the surface finish in that area.
True^

This product is more of a cleaner and is a very smooth paste, even though it has POLISH in the name, it removed the oxidation and road grime/water spots nicely, but was not abrasive at all to cause any damage to the finish.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion in an engine. Look at the exhaust pipe of the car in front of you when you're sitting at a light some cold morning you can often see water running out of it. It's also why you might see "frost" above the outlets on really cold days

EDIT: Oh oh... might have not been a serious question? Sorry, engineer mode kicking in after an 11 hour drive today...

EDIT 2: What the heck, if I'm going nerd mode I may as well go big:
https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/64-tiger-cub-1/64-data/combustion-chemistry.pdf

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
condensation leaks ? why don't you replace the joint gaskets Ducati part # 790.1.010.1A & 790.1.009.1A , and for those who do not understand this post try pulling your head out of your *^~

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Have you contacted the company that did your pipes? I've not had to clean anything off of mine except for road grime which came off pretty easily with warm water and dishwashing detergent. Essentially, I would think that you could use anything which is not "gritty" or would otherwise behave as a buffing compound, affecting the surface finish itself.
You should not have anything but road grime with the 748 ,916 996, 998 with the joint design used neither my 748r or my 996s leaked . The 749 ,999 has a exposed trailing edge the joints are nothing like a 748 they will leak if not sealed properly !

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
You should not have anything but road grime with the 748 ,916 996, 998 with the joint design used neither my 748r or my 996s leaked . The 749 ,999 has a exposed trailing edge the joints are nothing like a 748 they will leak if not sealed properly !
Yep... in fact, the joints on the Termi's were just that much tighter after the coating had been applied, and I ended up having to use dry graphite lubricant to get them together. Did not know that about the XX9 exhaust however... seems like it is a more forgiving design, regardless of the need for the gaskets. A small price to pay for ease of assembly and system flexibility.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts