Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Zard exhausts arrived yesterday from Motowheels and pretty much everything looks right: some minor scratches that can probably be buffed out with a Brillo pad but nothing is bent out of shape.
These are all stainless steel but I want to ceramic coat the header pipes only to avoid discoloration but was wondering if there are any special details I should be looking out for, like fitment issues, etc.
Since these going on my PS I'm inclined to have them ceramic coated in silver.
Any ideas, suggestions, tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Just make sure you keep the unions free of any coating. Best way is to mount the exhaust and mark exactly where each pipe section fits with the next. Tell coater to tape off those areas.

The shop I used said they have a titanium color now...could look cool on a PS.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We've used High Performance Coating in Utah in the past. Prices were good even with shipping both ways and very reliable. We removed the canister skin and removed the packing so they could coat the perforated baffle.

-M

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you ceramic coat the whole pipe as well as the pipe ends, can't you simply sand them down if needed to achieve a perfect fit? This would avoid having to mount the exhaust, take it down again, mark the ends off and then send them to the coater. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If you ceramic coat the whole pipe as well as the pipe ends, can't you simply sand them down if needed to achieve a perfect fit? This would avoid having to mount the exhaust, take it down again, mark the ends off and then send them to the coater. Am I wrong?
It's more of a PITA than you think, but yes...you could do it that way. You could just mark them after you take them off. Otherwise, if the place you're using has done MC exhausts before, they may do it for you to ensure a good final result.

Also, when you get them back, you will need to tap the threads of any nuts (exhaust clamps/brackets/o2 bungs/etc. to make sure they are free of ceramic buildup. Or, just leave all the hardware in place (NOT O2 sensor...use a plug) and have it all coated together.

Tmnstr

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Any experience with ceramic coaters in south Florida?
No, only in GA. You definitely want to see examples of their work beforehand to ensure the highest quality end result. BTW, ceramic coatings are very thin, like paint...not like powder, so any deep-ish scratches/pits/dings will still be noticeable after the application. If you want a perfect finish, be sure to sand/fix any of the above before proceeding. No need to remove all the old finish, though, as each shop preps by sand/bead-blasting each piece to ensure a uniform surface.

CCP Coatings (Detroit) has some nice looking examples. Also, a lot of guys have used Jet-Hot Coatings (I think they're in NC). I used ProCryo just outside Atlanta, GA.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts