Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating ceramic coating the headers (inner/outer) and the cat (outer) and wonder if anyone has done this? Any noticeable decrease in temps (e.g. rider comfort) or blackening of brake fluid?

I'm not inclined to go with an aftermarket exhaust or remove the cat. The latter is ugly enough as it is, but it's now starting to look rusty and even uglier. I'll likely just ignore it, but if anyone noted improvements from ceramic coating, I'd give it a go.

TIA.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, I'd forgotten about that thread.

How has the SRF held up?

Trying to clean up the cat got me thinking about ceramic coating, particularly given the heat issues. Not just from a cooked fluid standpoint, but cooked leg, as well.

If I was convinced the coating would be noticeable, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I may just try to avoid looking at the cat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SRF

I only have 500 miles on the bike since the SRF since it had been either raining or freezing here in Colorado this entire spring. As I added the heat tape and SRF at the same time my results will not be conclusive as there are multiple variables. I have to think it is superior to the stock fluid based on the specs and price.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
My son had his race car exhaust done by JetHot. Seems really durable and lots of color choices.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I always recommend some sort of applied thermal barrier coating for all steel exhausts.

They work.

Reduced temps, corrosion, etc.

Ive used Jet Hot many times. It is very durable. In the colors Ive had done, it is hard to scratch.

Last few years Ive been using Ceracote from a local place with good results. The Ceracote is not as durable as the Jet Hot in that is tends to get marred more easily, although it likely does a better job with heat.

So, its a toss-up.

Wrap certainly works, but is not something that I would put on a Ducati. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had a local company ceramic coat my exhaust. It was 140 Bux for the whole thing. I have a cat delete setup and had the pipes coated a titanium grey. Looks pretty boss.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
They can do both inside and outside and there is a performance benefit to coating the inside.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a local company ceramic coat my exhaust. It was 140 Bux for the whole thing. I have a cat delete setup and had the pipes coated a titanium grey. Looks pretty boss.
Nice! Did you notice any temperature differences say idling in traffic, etc? Rear brake fluid still getting cooked?

Just trying to get a bead on how effective this may or may not be from a temp standpoint specific to the MTS.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Rear brake fluid still getting cooked?

Just trying to get a bead on how effective this may or may not be from a temp standpoint specific to the MTS.
I dont remember what our temp gun readings were the last few times we did this, but it was substantial. Like, from 190f to 100f at that point in the system.

It really does make a massive difference.

Also- it is very unusual to pay $140 for a full system and have it be good quality, in my experience. Generally a full system coat is $300-$400 depending on how long the pipes are. It's not cheap, but it is worth it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I dont remember what our temp gun readings were the last few times we did this, but it was substantial. Like, from 190f to 100f at that point in the system.

Also- it is very unusual to pay $140 for a full system and have it be good quality, in my experience. Generally a full system coat is $300-$400 depending on how long the pipes are. It's not cheap, but it is worth it.
I haven't noticed a huge difference in temp but this bike didn't cook me compared to my other Ducs. It was coated inside an out. The product used on mine was a ceramic coating designed for exhaust headers and such for cars to keep temps down. It was done by Pro-Kote Indy. I have an air cooled hyper so there were not a great deal of parts. They also coated my clamps but not the muffler.

I have had plenty of powder coating done in the past. The quality looks fine to me. Nothing scratched or chipped during assembly and the color has not changed through repeated heat cycles.

They also blasted and acid bath cleaned the parts prior to coating and turn around time was only a few days.

The bright polish coating I had done on my rearsets was a bit more ($225)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I went to Jet-Hot and did the online quote generation for headers and the price came to $180. That included return shipping. It's pretty general, so I'm guessing that's external coating only. I'd want to do both internal and external. Shipping will be a booger, though with size and weight.

I've seen test results using temp guns that show significant (up to %56) heat reduction on headers. I'm just wondering if it's noticeable to the rider (and brake fluid), since the rest of the engine is also producing high temps. I'm assuming exhaust is the bigger part of the heat generation, but really don't know.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts