Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of coating is best for engine side cases? Who do you recommend?
Does coating cause heat to be retained in engine and result in higher temps?
Thanx, Mike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The amount of heat retained in or transferred through the engine cases is trivial compared to the surface area we use on the finned cylinder cases, heads and oil cooler. I dont understand why ceramic would be better than a normal powder coat in durability or quality of finish (prepped properly of course).

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
um... wrong. Use a high heat coating/paint. not just normal.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Paint

Ceramic coating is harder then Powder coating? They make spray paint that will work and look just as good but to pay a painter I would go with the Powder coat, the thing with Paint / powder coat is chipping and having to re-do will be easy with paint then with Powder coat. imo

·
Registered
40 Posts
um... wrong. Use a high heat coating/paint. not just normal.
wrong? I use powder coating on plenty of engine components of 400+ HP turbo applications with great long term results (not including turbine cases and direct exhaust components). Our engine cases dont come anywhere near the temps to harm a quality, properly prepped and applied powder job.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
there is such a thing as "high heat" coating, if he can use it, he should. as well as add the uv additive, as sun exposure with accellerate the decay.

·
Registered
400 Posts
wrong? I use powder coating on plenty of engine components of 400+ HP turbo applications with great long term results (not including turbine cases and direct exhaust components). Our engine cases dont come anywhere near the temps to harm a quality, properly prepped and applied powder job.
Yup. I've powder coated "hot" parts on plenty of 911 motors over the years. Plenty of valve covers, timing chain boxes and covers, engine tin, fans and housings, and stuff like that. Never a single problem with heat. Granted, I would never use it on "really hot" parts like cylinders and heads because of its insulating qualities, or on "really freakin' hot" parts like headers or mufflers because it would just burn off. Everything else has held up just fine, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts