Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an easy way of refitting the spring? be glad of any experience you may have had :smile2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I made a tool to do it by grinding down a allen key and then bending it into a hook. Hook the spring on one end and stretch it over the other end using the tool and wiggle it out. Guess any hook will do.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a tool to do it by grinding down a allen key and then bending it into a hook. Hook the spring on one end and stretch it over the other end using the tool and wiggle it out. Guess any hook will do.
I use a trampoline spring tool.
Zip ties make 2 loops with them them stretch the spring . Easy
Thanks guys, Will have another go tonight. Hopefully I will not need to pull it off again....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Get your hands on a spring hook. Can get one at harbor freight for $5. This is what you need. Comes in handy for all of the springs on this bike (mirror stalks, connection of exhaust header to mufflers, side stand, and center stand).

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
This ^...The Harbor Freight piece is nice.

For years, I used a spring tool at work that had come with an exhaust system. It had several springs on it to hold the system together, so they sent a spring tool with it. A heavy wire hook welded to a tubular cross piece.

After a couple of years, it blew apart when I was trying to rehook the centerstand spring on a Goldwing. Almost gave myself a black eye when it broke.

After that, I used the hook part with a big vise grip...wasn't too bad.;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep the spring hook tool worked but still required a bit of effort. Another tool for the toolbox!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts