Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a centre stand for my 2014 Pikes Peak. My thoughts for doing this are that I can lubricate the chain whilst on longer touring. It also would offer me the ability for puncture repairs on the fly.

The Pikes Peak did not come with the centre stand as a standard option. The bike was designed to have a lighter platform than other Multistrada options as I am sure most would know. Would I be loosing this sportier look and feel if I installed a centre stand? Or would practicality offer the better outcome?

Thank you in advance :)

Gavatron

·
Registered
139 Posts
The weight is so low on the bike that I doubt it makes much difference. I really dislike it at oil change time, but weight or lean issues have been non existent for me.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Nah, you won't know it's there except perhaps when your foot hits it. The PP isn't lighter than an S enough to make a bit of difference anyway. You know how they made it lighter? By charging more for the paint and not giving a center stand! Two thousand pounds less in your pocket, six less pounds on the bike. Oh, and no heated grips! That saved at least three ounces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a SW moteck (correct spelling?) which is better than the stock Ducati one. It's not noticeable . I notched out my belly pan so I don't have to take off the center stand to change the oil.
I have touched down the side stand in the twisties before so not sure about grinding the center stand, haven't had a chance to test that out yet because winter is here.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
It is as handy as a shirt pocket!
Cool thing is that you can remove it in a flash for when you want a nekid bike.
I had plans of removing it but its a why bother?
Yup it clutters the look up but don't let it bother you and you are fine.
Look up slotting the belly pan for ease of oil changes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I third the statement of modding the belly pan. Makes oil changes SO much easier.

And as for weight difference, it certainly doesn't hinder me in any way, shape or form from staying with the sportbikes on the road. Now for track duty, yes it would come off, but for the other 98% of the time it stays.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I installed a SW moteck (correct spelling?) which is better than the stock Ducati one. It's not noticeable . I notched out my belly pan so I don't have to take off the center stand to change the oil.
I have touched down the side stand in the twisties before so not sure about grinding the center stand, haven't had a chance to test that out yet because winter is here.
+1 on the SW-Motech center stand. Put one on my 2012 PP. Excellent addition.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ive removed my centre stand, its a pain when my heal hits it, and I've ground so much of it off on the road i thort id remove it before is causes something dangerous to happen. it is handy on long trips for oiling the chain, and brilliant for removing the wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts