Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT1000 with the usual chromed steel rims and spokes and I'm thinking about having the hubs relaced with stainless spokes onto alloy rims. Yesterday I called at Central Wheel Components in Coleshill (UK). They seemed really knowledgeable guys and it seems they build the wheels for new Nortons. Anyway, they sent me round to their sister company Biker's World to have a look at a Ducati they'd built and the result is in the photo attached. I thought I'd post it as I imagined it would appeal to some of the contributors on here.
It apparently started life as a 2004 900ss with 7,000 miles and has had a nut and bolt rebuild. The headlight / flyscreen looked a bit clumsy, but apart from that it really looked quite "sport classic". The quality of the paint on the frame and bodywork was really excellent, but definitely the interesting bit for me were the wheels.
I thought I'd go for regular polished allow rims, but black anodised rims with stainless spokes really looked good on this bike.
And the price? around £600 for both wheels relaced to the standard hubs (which they can anodise). An extra £40 per rim for black anodised finish. This sounded quite reasonable to me and I wondered if anyone had experience of having wheels rebuilt by Central Wheel Components? I'd be interested to hear any feedback.
Oh and the price of the bike? £5,000 - which didn't sound too bad.

Central Wheel Components Limited
They also sell in USA through
Excel Rims

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
CW are good. As are Hagon - better known for shocks, but great wheel builders too, based on the outskirts on London in Essex. The CW price is ok, but you could get a competitive quote from Hagon to check against.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Don't forget that for around £80 more, you can have a brand new set of FaBa tubeless spoked wheels, no messing about and straight bolt on. You can sell your GT wheels to raise some of the money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Duccout. Those FaBa wheels look very nice but are they really available for ca £700/pair? If they are then it sounds like a great option. Any idea where to source them in UK? I'll also price them in Italy as it's no problem for me to pick them up there.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I think that the price including delivery to the UK is Eu 860, if you collect them yourself, then it should be Eu 800, which works out at around £640, unless the price has risen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts