Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm sure this thread topic was started somewhere else possibly but I could not find. If you can point me in the direction/location I will drop this one.

SO! It bugs the crap out of me and is distracting as all get out that my left heal hits the Center Stand when I ride... my style is more agressive I guess where i ride most of the time on the balls of my feet (just slightly back from toes) Now some may disagree with this stance/position but I am not going to change at this point...

Question: Has anyone come up with a solution for either bending or modifying the center stand such that the left heal does not contact the stand?

Thanks in advance all...

John

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Not your only choice, but SpeedyMoto will modify for you with a pretty quick turnaround. Mine still bugs me a little after the fix, but it's handy to have a c/s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! So did the mod create any difference in putting the bike up on the center stand? It seems like 2 to 3 inches off the pedal would help clearance but hinder ease of pulling it up? Thanks again!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I ride agressively on the balls of my feet as well and touch the stand, but don't find it an issue at all. Not sure why others find it such a big issue.
Besides being bothersome because you shouldn't have to "feel it"...it can and does push the c/s down which could be a problem. It bothered me but...not any more after chopping the arm down.;)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Thanks for the info! So did the mod create any difference in putting the bike up on the center stand? It seems like 2 to 3 inches off the pedal would help clearance but hinder ease of pulling it up? Thanks again!
yes, at least i think so. less leverage = more strength/power required. given how infrequent mine is on the center stand, and the bother that the stand caused, the mod was well worth it. ymmv.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... my dad is a welder so I think I will have him help with re-welding the foot after I cut off a couple inches... I'll post pic when done.

Off to Taos New Mexico this weekend... winding my way through the forest fires! (dang its bad here in Northern Colorado!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
It bugs the crap out of me and is distracting as all get out that my left heal hits the Center Stand when I ride
This bugs the crap out of me every time I ride. Of course, it also bugs me when people misspell "heel" as "heal", so I'm easily bugged.

The official response from Ducati seems to have consisted of "move your foot". My dealer has offered to shorten the arm on the centerstand, which several people here have either had done by a dealer or company or have done themselves. Most have reported that it helps.

Reactions: enduranceracing

·
Registered
545 Posts
Besides being bothersome because you shouldn't have to "feel it"...it can and does push the c/s down which could be a problem. It bothered me but...not any more after chopping the arm down.;)
Actually the more aggressively I ride, the more I get my weight forward and the more my heel comes up, so that when I'm really pushing it to full lean, I am not pressing on the CS at all. Total non issue. The only time I ever feel the CS is when I'm just cruising and set my heel down on it. And even then, it's only a slight touch. And I have a size 12 foot.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Have you seen Andy's summary of available information with pictures here?
Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 DIY Mods > MTS1200 Centre Stand Fix

Print this diagram and anyone with a welder and a can of black paint can do the mod.
John

Tim posts a complete look at the mod in your question. Good job, Tim!

I have read many posts here in other threads about how this mod will not really change your ability to easily pop the bike up on the stand after you chop it.

They say it is: "Not for Sissies" or "Just Man Up", or something along that line.

What we have not seen here (or I have missed it) is a video of a Multi chopped center stand mod.... being popped up on the stand as if it were a breeze.

Someone should upload that.

I still can't figure out why my 13 gunboat size boots don't even notice the stock stand when on an aggressive ride.

Dan

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hack saw not needed?
My apologies. Angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel helps, a marker pen, a tape measure, a lightbulb, a shed, solid ground, electrical power for the grinder and welder.............

Happy now?

And by the way, I find that the centre stand is one of the easiest to use and requires little effort to get the bike on it. I use mine routinely and rarely use the side stand. There are a few posts about the technique but I find the secret is to push the stand down with my right foot. Stand on it to put my weight on it and I use the accessory handle to gently lift the bike up and onto the stand.
- Don't jerk it
- Don't pull back , pull up
- use your weight on your foot to lift the bike, don't try to pull it up with your arms and back.

I like the centre stand design. It is out of the way, never touches down, doesn't rattle and make noise as long as the rubber buffers are in place. It is in exactly the right place for balance and easy lift. The length of the foot lever is too long but probably fine for Italian test riders in suede loafers. ;-)

I have never thought to post a video as I don't think it is that hard to use the stand. I am happy to post one if someone wants it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No Time to Spare.

While I have all the necessary equipment to do the c-stand mod I have both modified where I place my foot and got used to my foot contacting the stand at times.

Sure the mod could be done in my shop with about 40 spare minutes but moving my foot takes 0 minutes.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
While I have all the necessary equipment to do the c-stand mod I have both modified where I place my foot and got used to my foot contacting the stand at times.

Sure the mod could be done in my shop with about 40 spare minutes but moving my foot takes 0 minutes.
Im right there w you. When i first got mine the centerstand totally bothered me and i was real close to taking the hacksaw and tig welder to it to shorten it. Now 3 months later i hardly notice it, my foot barely touches it and it just doesnt bother me any more. Now the other side where my shoe is hitting the exhaust and melting..... thats a different story and that will hopefully be fixed when i chuck the stock exhaust in the bin.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.