Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is now about half way between the 7500 mile service and the 15,000 mile service so I changed the oil and found the bolt on the front of the center belly pan was broken. It is actually a stud that screws into the sump and there is a rubber section between the stud into the sump and the stud that sticks through the belly pan. The rubber part had broken in two.

I don't know what broke it but the dealer did the 7500 mile service and the oil drain plug was in VERY tight and I had to destroy the oil filter getting it off because it was on so tight. I suspect the belly pan bolt may have been over torqued and twisted the rubber in two, but who knows.

Anybody run into this problem before?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
He probably did overtighten it, after all it's rubber that gets hot and cold frequently so by ripping the wrench into it would easily shread it I'd assume.
Here's a parts list and prices from the sponsors here
Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche
Also I'd suggest using a K&N oil filter next time (KN-153) it has a wrench nut welded right onto the bottom.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I hope you let them know about it...
Staying around the specs shouldn't be so difficult , for a PROFESSIONAL...

sounds like they Maybe tightened the nut and may have twisted it to breaking also...
likely they would not admit to doing it...
you might want to note who the mechanic was that worked on it...and give him the evil eye...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2010 Multi too. My center belly pan stud is broken also. rubber split down the middle. Doesn't take much to rip the rubber, probably over tightened from the last service.

·
Premium Member
2012 multistrada 1200 / 2019 hypermotard 950
346 Posts
My bike is now about half way between the 7500 mile service and the 15,000 mile service so I changed the oil and found the bolt on the front of the center belly pan was broken. It is actually a stud that screws into the sump and there is a rubber section between the stud into the sump and the stud that sticks through the belly pan. The rubber part had broken in two.

I don't know what broke it but the dealer did the 7500 mile service and the oil drain plug was in VERY tight and I had to destroy the oil filter getting it off because it was on so tight. I suspect the belly pan bolt may have been over torqued and twisted the rubber in two, but who knows.

Anybody run into this problem before?
I tell ya what broke mine . I was changing oil without taking the rear bpan bolts that are hidden behind the center stand off . When i went to reinstall center bolt of bpan back , threads didnt seat correctly and stripped right off . I didnt feel it happening at all as normally i would when im crossthreading. No worries though , just cut portion of rubber stop off and reinstalled rest of bpan mount hardware .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LaRossa,
Thanks for the link to DucatiOmaha. I'm used to the ease of ordering BMW parts and this is getting close. Just didn't know about DucOmada.
Wayne

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Troy,
Are you saying you decided to just eliminate the rubber vibration damper and go without the center bolt on the belly pan? I'm not sure I understood what you ended up with.
Thanks,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Troy,
Are you saying you decided to just eliminate the rubber vibration damper and go without the center bolt on the belly pan? I'm not sure I understood what you ended up with.
Thanks,
Wayne
Yes , bolt is no longer being used . The pan still sits on rubber ring on tension alone. I had to shave a bit of rubber off though to be able for the side panel bolts to fall back in their holes. This is not the best idea but it works for me . Ive had no rattle with pan at all . Hope this helps .

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thanks Troy.

I'm picking up a new bolt/rubber damper from the dealer tomorrow. $7.99

Wayne

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Last week when I changed my filter it was also very tight. Looks like a common problem that techies would over tighten them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts