Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best system for bike-to-bike or bike-to-car comms?
Better than 2-way?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
The B/T unit I have (Cardio Systems ??) worked quite well last fall when a buddy and I ferried my two Duc's from Romania to Denmark.

A very safety enhancing feature when you're with a buddy!

The controls where a bit quirky, but worked with more effort than necessary.

A S/W would probably have greater distance than B/T. The B/T gives you line of sight distance (300m +/-).

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the Scala rider..

I have the Scala G4. Works pretty good for bike to bike. Pairing them takes a bit of practice and they take awhile to connect. I did a 5 day ride with a buddy and we found having them very helpful. I have not yet mastered having the intercom working and being able to take/make a call or have the blu tooth playing my music. It seemed as tho it was one or the other.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just purchased one of these, 1 "VCAN Blinc M2 Bluetooth Helmet Communication Module with FM Tuner"

Read all the reviews I could muster.
Wont get it for a week or so but will post once i do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use scala G4 between myself and wife on other bike. Get 1000+ meters range. Also have it bluetoothed to iPod and also Garmin gps which is also bluetoothed to phone so can make and receive calls on the run.

Really good unit with great long lasting batteries, only disappointment is cannot link into CB.

If you buy the pack with both units in it, they are already linked so no hassle with trying to find the other unit or linking them. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also has FM tuner built in.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use scala G4 between myself and wife on other bike. Get 1000+ meters range. Also have it bluetoothed to iPod and also Garmin gps which is also bluetoothed to phone so can make and receive calls on the run.

Really good unit with great long lasting batteries, only disappointment is cannot link into CB.

If you buy the pack with both units in it, they are already linked so no hassle with trying to find the other unit or linking them. :)
Thanks Rob :)
I'm thinking more than 1000 metres or close bike to bike; I'm thinking 3-5 kms +.
CB?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I´ve been looking at this for both "on bike" intercom with wife riding two up aswell as other riders when riding in groups..

Bluetooth headssets like Scala seem to have a range up to around 300meters (or so, depends on line of sight). If you want further range, then your going to have to be looking at a CB install with everything that means. There are companies that have that install option ready like http://www.jmcorp.com/

But even then a 5k range is marginal unless you have a good antenna or very flat land since CB´s signal degrade over range. Your choice of CB radio affects range. I´ve used cheap "Cobra" radios you get at the local electronics store with in-ear and Ptt-headsets and the range was around 3k in open country. Range in cities is usually very bad, you can get a no-go between two streets if there is a big building in the way.

Going with a BT like scala gives you the option of pairing your phone with the system, giving unlimited range as long as both you and the person your calling is in range of a radiotower.

So its down to:
1. Will you have cellphone reception? - Go with a BT and cellphone pair it.
2. Outback with no or intermittent cell - CB outside 1k range or BT pairing inside 1k.

I´ll be going with a new Schuberth C3 with their built in BT headset and cellphone pairing since there are very few places in Sweden that lack cellphone reception and I´m not likely to be visiting there anytime soon..

2c

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sensational advice folks many thanks. The quest continues......breaker breaker :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the SENA SMH5, and am pretty disappointed by the lack of effective noise cancelling. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Do any competing models do well at 60-70mph? Seems to me that the wind noise would be predictable enough to do a noise cancellation and get much clear voice.

Or maybe I'm dreaming of the next generation technology...

Mark

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Mark,

I have the SMH10 (upgradeable version). The noise cancelling works great in the 70mph region. Above that, both the mic and speakers drop off due to increasing wind noise. This is with a full face helmet.

My first gen cardo scala rider used to drop out in the 60mph region. So, I would say that the technology has certainly marched along.

One thing, on the mount for the SMH10, it is said that you have to ensure the mic is oriented with the little fin AWAY from the mouth. Oddly, with a simple 90deg bend on mine, the fin was point toward my mouth. It doesn't rotate easily as it is locked on to the boom, but I did get it fully rotated. Could this be your problem?

Have a good one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts