Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title says it all.... I cant decide between getting the termi slip on's or having shift tech build their awesome custom exhaust.. my problem is I cant decide. I love the look of the shift tech shorty exhaust but I'm worried that ill have issues with it since I would not be upgrading the ecu. The termis come with a nice ecu and I know I wouldn't have any fueling issues with it. But on the other hand that shorty exhaust form shift tech looks so damn sexy. It cost about the same thing and I'm not really worried about performance, more about sound and looks (the street fighter has more than any of us can really use). Im running a full system on my track bike with a stock ecu on my 999s and have no problems to speak of, but for some reason I feel like there might be a issue with this finiky street fighter... I cant decide so I thought I would open it up to the peanut gallery.... long story short: shift tech shorty exhaust or the slip on termis???? ( I would also be keeping the foot peg bracket cause I like to take passengers) :think:

·
Bon Vivant
11,724 Posts
Personally I don't think its a good idea to change the exhaust flow without adjusting the AFR.
If you decide to go with the Shift Tech exhaust I'd probably at least do a pro-tune ECU re-flash to go with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I don't think its a good idea to change the exhaust flow without adjusting the AFR.
If you decide to go with the Shift Tech exhaust I'd probably at least do a pro-tune ECU re-flash to go with it.
I'm not familiar with this reflash... so it can be done to the stock ECU?
Or do I need a separate unit. Im trying not to lose the TC and thats why im staying away from getting a power commander or the such. Also its a lot more time and money to get the bike dyno'd and everything. Im trying to keep it as simple as possible. But thanks for the info

·
Registered
185 Posts
The only way you can use Shift Techs exhaust is if you also get a programmable ecu and have it dyno tuned. He used a Micro Tech. If you did by the exhaust from him you could buy the Micro tech and then ask Shift Tech to send you the file that he has programmed in from his dyno runs.
Ken

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm not familiar with this reflash... so it can be done to the stock ECU?
Or do I need a separate unit. Im trying not to lose the TC and thats why im staying away from getting a power commander or the such. Also its a lot more time and money to get the bike dyno'd and everything. Im trying to keep it as simple as possible. But thanks for the info
It seems pretty obvious if you want to keep it simple, get the Termi. Its factory backed w/warranty and ecu. I rode a bike with a full system and it was amazing. Absolutely transformed the bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the full termi system is your best bet. As I and other people have said that have gotten it, it works nice, looks nice, and sounds nice.

I am not familiar with Pro Tune but it looks like it piggybacks on to the Ducati ECU.

I do not see how it could be setup correctly for Shift Techs exhaust as his runs correctly since he added the Micro tech ecu and spent extensive time on a dyno. If you can get that map from him and download it into the Micro tech you would be good to go. Also his exhaust is a real true 2-1 exhaust. How would Pro tune have a map for that as that is not something commonly found on a 1098 engine.

You need to make sure that the AFR is correct across the RPM range and from 0% throttle to 100% throttle.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
11,724 Posts
Of course these guys are right - it would be best if you do a microtech/nemisis system to have it dyno tuned
but you have already said that you don't want to loose the DTC and that system would loose the DTC

The Protune is not a piggyback system it is a reflash of the stock ECU. They have several levels of reflash for different levels of modification.
At best you'd be guessing on the fueling with the protune and new pipes but it's half the price of a new ECU and it retains the DTC and DDA.

If I were going Termi I would go for the full system, reports are very positive so far. But...
The new DP ECU seems to be quite a bit less programmable than previous years. If you want to do some tweaking you may be out of luck with the Termi.
And remember - Termis are not custom tuned to your bike either.

Nothing seems to be perfect...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts