Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good Cat heat shield for the left side of the Multistrada 1200s 2015
I swear on long trips I have to hang that foot off the bike to cool it down, felt like I blistered it
several times...

right side is fine

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get a link pipe kit and remove it completely...much better.

Or you could try some wrap but it a tricky shape.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get a link pipe kit and remove it completely...much better.

Or you could try some wrap but it a tricky shape.
It's not that easy. Link pipe means servo delete/hack plus a new slipon to make the new obnoxious noise acceptable and all of which may cause new fueling issues so now one of the tune options needs to be done.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not that easy. Link pipe means servo delete/hack plus a new slipon to make the new obnoxious noise acceptable and all of which may cause new fueling issues so now one of the tune options needs to be done.....
True, personal opinion, false.

Did this mod 2 years ago to get rid of the foot heat, had it dynoed by dealer AFR is still with in spec.

·
Registered
49 Posts
True, personal opinion, false.

Did this mod 2 years ago to get rid of the foot heat, had it dynoed by dealer AFR is still with in spec.
I said "may" as every bike will be different and will vary depending on link pipe used and end can chosen. So yeah, with the amount of bikes I've had tuned because of this and the amount of people that do the exhaust and now have it popping/banging, I stand by my opinion.

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I said "may" as every bike will be different and will vary depending on link pipe used and end can chosen. So yeah, with the amount of bikes I've had tuned because of this and the amount of people that do the exhaust and now have it popping/banging, I stand by my opinion.

The popping is normal far as I can tell, does it stock even with the most recent update, the ST4s (I had two) did so also with stock exhaust or aftermarket cans, but, that said, I have heard that if I do the cat delete it’s best to map it, wonder could I make baffles for the stock muffler if I do delete the cat?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The popping is normal far as I can tell, does it stock even with the most recent update, the ST4s (I had two) did so also with stock exhaust or aftermarket cans, but, that said, I have heard that if I do the cat delete it’s best to map it, wonder could I make baffles for the stock muffler if I do delete the cat?
My 1200 DVT engine and exhaust are bone stock, and its had the popping on deceleration since it left the showroom floor. I personally like the popping sound though.
Do a google search for "inline motorcycle db killer" or "inline motorcycle catalyst". I've been considering upgrading my exhaust with a decat midpipe and new silencer but dont want it insanely loud and have thought about using one of these. It would just be a matter of ordering the right diameter.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Anyone know of a good Cat heat shield for the left side of the Multistrada 1200s 2015
I swear on long trips I have to hang that foot off the bike to cool it down, felt like I blistered it
several times...

right side is fine
I haven't heard of such a heat shield, but I would first try to jerry rig something and/or experiment with the many heat shield products out there.

Only if that fails would I would look into a mid-pipe. I put a LV mid-pipe on my MTS, with a LV slip-on, a TuneBoy map, the additional required mods, etc and your instincts on this project are correct ...

While I'm very happy with the results, looking back years later, it was an expensive PITA project. Now that I'm getting older, crankier, and less inclined to tinker, I doubt I would undertake that project again. IMO, you really have to commit to that project to do it right, if you are not paying an expert to do it for you.

I'm really hoping to leave my next bike in stock form as far as a mid-pipe and mapping goes. But that's probably wishful thinking thanks to the EnviroNazis in the world. :(

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I had an 1198s corse that was soo hot you could swear the hair on your legs were on fire, the multi is a fridge compared to that.

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had an 1198s corse that was soo hot you could swear the hair on your legs were on fire, the multi is a fridge compared to that.

except on the left foot, I swear I pulled my boots off expecting a burned blister in the desert last year. I learned to ride standing up hanging my leg out in the wind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts