Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I am new to this forum and by the looks of it a long way away from the rest of you guys. I'm in the Highlands of Scotland (read one big racetrack!).
I wanted to show you what I built last year, sort of throw the cat among the Sport Classic Pigeons. It is a kit called 'Project Imola' based on the mid ninties 900ss, produced in very small numbers by some mates of mine Baines Racing of Silverstone ( www.bainesracing.com )
I am interested to know what people think of it. Mine is quite spec't up but you can buy the kit and use all of the stock parts from the donor bike.
Anyone want to know more about its spec. let me know.

Edward

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's been some talk on here about the Baines kits, and I personally think it's very nicely done. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion!

Beautiful bike, and a great place to ride it, I'm sure.

It's Sporty, and a Classic, so we'll let you stay! ;) Welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drewogatory said:
That is very sweet. Assuming price in $ isn't stratospheric.
The price for the kit is the Sterling equivalant of $9000 (£4,750), with the engine mods. and all the shiny sparkly bits I ended up paying $22,700 (£12,000). But being a kit, you can spec. it according to your wallet, I just spent the family allowance!!!!!
Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad to hear that Baines Racing is known over there, Geoff Baines used to race in various classes BOT and Sound of Singles being two, he always rode at Daytona. I worked for them for a while and had a hand in the development of the Project Imola kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the downpipes are 'Nest-of-Vipers' racing items developed from the 888 WSB racers, and the silencers, if you can call them that, are stainless Conti replicas made by a company here in England called Keihan www.keihan.co.uk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So if Duc wrecks are fairly common( I haven't really dug in yet,so I don't know),you could be rolling for $12 ish if you're handy...I mean all you really need is the motor and wiring. And not even the wiring if you go carbs. Everything else is readily available. I mean,who doesn't have a few sets of rims and forks lying around. Maybe not the best rims and forks,mind you..but still. I meanI already have a spare set of Sport forks and I'm gonna have some rims... OH *%$#. Just back away from the thread...Stop me before I spend again!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The following images are of two of the prototypes that Baines produced, the orange one is made from a 2001 750 injected bike, the black and gold one is prototype number 1 and was a study to show what can be built with all the stock parts from the donor bike.
As I've said before, they can be built to the size of your wallet!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
ProjectImolaman said:
....I'm in the Highlands of Scotland (read one big racetrack!)......
Edward, I envy you. The bike looks the works and living in Scotland .... bikers paradise for sure. One of my brothers has lived in Aberdeen for some 4 years and I've visited him (from The Netherlands) on my bike. The riding was superb and I did use every bit on my tires. Now I'm in the Houston area and the tires show the infamous chicken-strip.
Welcome and hey, maybe you can post an onboard video ......... :cool:
RonB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jbcaddy said:
Edward, what hub did you use for your wheels? I'm modding an ST to get that look, and would like to put wire wheels on it.
thanks for your post and photos, Jan
Hi, The wheels believe it or not are 10 years old, but have been sat on a shelf for that time. I remember back in the '90s when they were available as a direct bolt-in swap for all SS models and Monsters.
The hubs are original items from the '70s bikes (Ceriani or Borrani) with bolted on adaptors for modern discs & cush-drives and the rims are Akront items in 3.5" & 5.5".
They cost me a small fortune but they were worth it. I have a set of standard rims that I use for the track the rear is 4.5" with a 160 mounted, this size makes the bike handle much better; more like a 250! but they don't look as good - judge for yourself...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mhe225 said:
Edward, I envy you. The bike looks the works and living in Scotland .... bikers paradise for sure. One of my brothers has lived in Aberdeen for some 4 years and I've visited him (from The Netherlands) on my bike. The riding was superb and I did use every bit on my tires. Now I'm in the Houston area and the tires show the infamous chicken-strip.
Welcome and hey, maybe you can post an onboard video ......... :cool:
RonB
...Thanks Ron, we have only been here for 6 months, north of Inverness in the Heart of the highlands, it is so fantastic. Not sure about the on board video though.
all the best

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dammm...

ProjectImolaman said:
Hello there, I am new to this forum and by the looks of it a long way away from the rest of you guys. I'm in the Highlands of Scotland (read one big racetrack!).
I wanted to show you what I built last year, sort of throw the cat among the Sport Classic Pigeons. It is a kit called 'Project Imola' based on the mid ninties 900ss, produced in very small numbers by some mates of mine Baines Racing of Silverstone ( www.bainesracing.com )
I am interested to know what people think of it. Mine is quite spec't up but you can buy the kit and use all of the stock parts from the donor bike.
Anyone want to know more about its spec. let me know.

Edward
Frickin' Sweet..... :eek: may have too look you up in the near future. Thank You for sharing this info...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice looking bike Edward, I am in Cumbria and we have a very active forum for the North of England an Scotland, lots of Scottish Ducatisti !

Would love to see the bike in the flesh, lots of rideouts already organised, lots already been done !

Link in my sig !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dseered said:
Nice looking bike Edward, I am in Cumbria and we have a very active forum for the North of England an Scotland, lots of Scottish Ducatisti !

Would love to see the bike in the flesh, lots of rideouts already organised, lots already been done !

Link in my sig !
...excellent, I haven't found a forum for Ducs like this one yet in the UK. If ever you guys get up this way, I run a small B&B here which is of cause very biker friendly!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lots of Scottish Ducatis on DuN, I love Scotland so will maybe take you up on that at some point, 3 of us came up last year, Kendal-Fort Bill ( Via Ducati Glasgow) Fort Bill-Malaig then up to Ullapool, next day came back down to Fort Bill and up the cable car on the Nevis Range for lunch, onwards and stayed in Oban then home the next day via Invarary.

Fantastic time we had aswell !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dseered said:
Lots of Scottish Ducatis on DuN, I love Scotland so will maybe take you up on that at some point, 3 of us came up last year, Kendal-Fort Bill ( Via Ducati Glasgow) Fort Bill-Malaig then up to Ullapool, next day came back down to Fort Bill and up the cable car on the Nevis Range for lunch, onwards and stayed in Oban then home the next day via Invarary.

Fantastic time we had aswell !
...fantastic.

I rode up the A835 on Wednesday (not a cloud in the sky) to Ullapool to have a coffee with my sister who lives near there. That road is just one of the most amazing roads in this country - and little or now traffic!
we're on the Black Isle so very centrally placed. check out the website (if you haven't already - www.torvaigsteading.quarryhillweb.com
all the best

1 - 18 of 18 Posts